Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2014, 05:18 AM   #1 
Cara

I think one of the babies swallowed a small piece of aquarium gravel.

Theta is kept on a half gallon with daily water changes. I noticed after doing a 50% water change when I went back in to check that a small piece of gravel was floating at the top of the tank. I went to wash my hands to remove it and came back just in time to see Theta take it into her mouth. I watched closely and did NOT see her spit it back out. Since then she's been clamped on and off. Is there anything I can do to help? Is it even possible for her to swallow a bit of gravel? I feel fairly helpless ATM.
Cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #2 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would just monitor her. Keep the water clean and warm. This will allow her metabolism to function well, which in turn will hopefully allow her digestive system to expel the gravel. (In other words, if she did swallow it, hopefully, she'll poop it out.)

If you notice any signs of bloating, let us know. If she starts to bloat, I suggest using Epsom salt (at an initial dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon). Epsom salt has a laxative effect, so it may help her push it out.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #3 
Cara

I thought I would update, that she is unclamped and back to her normal active self. :) Thank you though!
Cara is offline   Reply With Quote