Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-01-2014, 05:45 AM   #1 
inveritas
Member
 
inveritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Singapore
Sick betta, fin rot?

Hi, need some help on my betta please. It's been shedding its fins and color lately and has been generally depressed. Pimafix and melafix has not helped.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons (but now in smaller hosp tank)
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Betta Bio-Gold
How often do you feed your betta fish? Daily, 10 pellets

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

No test kit.. :(

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Lost color and scales/fin
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? It's been depressed lately
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 1 week ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Pimafix/Melafix, but doesn't work
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year ++

Here's a before/after pic...thanks all!




Last edited by inveritas; 05-01-2014 at 05:46 AM. Reason: grammar nazi
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 04:38 PM   #2 
Eep Crood
Member
 
Eep Crood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Midwest
Put some aquarium salt in his tank. One teaspoon for every 5 gallons. Use it for ten days or until his fins heal. Dissolve the salt in water before adding it to his water.
How is your tank 80 degrees without being heated? Make sure his water stays at 80,,warm water is best for healing fin rot. Do daily water changes, it is especially important to keep the water clean while he's sick.
Eep Crood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #3 
haveyouhadyourteayet
Member
 
haveyouhadyourteayet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
The 'fix' meds aren't anything helpful. I would skip to stronger meds!

Can you get a top down picture for us, or describe his shape/weight? I think he may have some sort of internal parasite issue. The pallor is a very common symptom, and the tailrot may have been brought on by a weakened immune system.

To rule out stress/shock... has anything stressing or shocking happened to him lately?

Your care looks really good, the only 2 things I would suggest are upping one of those water changes to 100%, and possibly getting some higher quality food. Hikari used to be good, but has reformulated. People suggest Omega One often on here, and I personally use New Life Spectrum, it's been great for me.

Also, he doesn't need salt. You need to zero in on whatever's making him weak, heal that, then his little body can kick the rot on it's own.

Last edited by haveyouhadyourteayet; 05-01-2014 at 11:17 PM. Reason: salt
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:46 AM   #4 
inveritas
Member
 
inveritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eep Crood View Post
Put some aquarium salt in his tank. One teaspoon for every 5 gallons. Use it for ten days or until his fins heal. Dissolve the salt in water before adding it to his water.
How is your tank 80 degrees without being heated? Make sure his water stays at 80,,warm water is best for healing fin rot. Do daily water changes, it is especially important to keep the water clean while he's sick.
Thanks for your suggestion! I'll do the salt treatment. I live in the Tropics so it's always 80 degrees all year round

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyouhadyourteayet View Post
The 'fix' meds aren't anything helpful. I would skip to stronger meds!

Can you get a top down picture for us, or describe his shape/weight? I think he may have some sort of internal parasite issue. The pallor is a very common symptom, and the tailrot may have been brought on by a weakened immune system.

To rule out stress/shock... has anything stressing or shocking happened to him lately?

Your care looks really good, the only 2 things I would suggest are upping one of those water changes to 100%, and possibly getting some higher quality food. Hikari used to be good, but has reformulated. People suggest Omega One often on here, and I personally use New Life Spectrum, it's been great for me.

Also, he doesn't need salt. You need to zero in on whatever's making him weak, heal that, then his little body can kick the rot on it's own.
His body seems to be slightly bent/curved, and definitely thinner than before. Even while I was changing his water some of his fins chipped off (I wasn't rough about it). Unfortunately the only recognisable brand we have here is Hikari, and everything else's either of lower quality (Tetra), some shady homemade brand (AZOO) or non-branded at all (no expiry date listed even). Thanks for suggesting though, I'll be sure to keep a lookout for it when I visit new stores
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:08 AM   #5 
haveyouhadyourteayet
Member
 
haveyouhadyourteayet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
The fin rot should heal on it's own once he feels better... Do you have API over there?
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:58 PM   #6 
inveritas
Member
 
inveritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyouhadyourteayet View Post
The fin rot should heal on it's own once he feels better... Do you have API over there?
Yes, we have some limited API products (like the test kits) here.
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:29 PM   #7 
haveyouhadyourteayet
Member
 
haveyouhadyourteayet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Can you find General Cure? It's a good anti-parasite med.
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:24 AM   #8 
inveritas
Member
 
inveritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Singapore
Quote:
Originally Posted by haveyouhadyourteayet View Post
Can you find General Cure? It's a good anti-parasite med.
I'll keep a lookout for it - thank you!
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 06:50 PM   #9 
haveyouhadyourteayet
Member
 
haveyouhadyourteayet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Keep us posted!
haveyouhadyourteayet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:58 AM   #10 
inveritas
Member
 
inveritas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Singapore
I've done the salt treatment for 4 days now, he's eating more, stopped shedding scales/fins/other body parts and (i think) he's more active now. The colors haven't come back though, and I'm starting to wonder if it ever will. Will continue the salt for another 6 days since I've no good meds here!
inveritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My sweet little betta is sick...possible fin rot? tommyboy0193 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 06-11-2013 08:55 PM
sick betta fish - fin rot? feathers777 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 8 09-15-2012 10:52 AM
very sick betta with fin rot on face ggg777 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 24 04-22-2012 03:06 PM
Sick Betta - Fin Rot??? deeds1006 Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 5 10-10-2011 09:21 PM
My Betta's sick. I think.. fin rot, bacterial? Gabie Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies 3 07-06-2011 02:08 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.