Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 04-27-2014, 08:36 AM   #1 
leedavidford

Stress stripes

I'm a bit worried about my female betta. I've had her for two weeks now but her stress stripes haven't Faded at all. My other female (in a separate tank) had them for a day or two then they completely vanished.
She is in a 10g tank with 4 cory cats, I don't think they are stressing her out, they kinda just keep to themselves.
My Lfs tested my water and said everything is ideal.
My tank is fully cycled, has been established since Jan.
any suggestions as to what could be going on would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

leedavidford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:59 AM   #2 
VivianKJean

hmmmm sometimes some females get more stressed than other. My girl Stella used to get stressed so easily for the first couple months after I got her -- the water tests said the water was fine, her tank is heated. Make sure she has lots of plants and places to hide.
Is it possible to keep the lights off most of the day. My girl seems to get more comfortable when id keep the lights off as much as i could. Once she seems to get less stressed then I slowly started keeping them on during the day.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #3 
leedavidford

Thanks for your reply :)
I've just got in from work and her stripes seem less vivid which I guess is a good sign!
I'm definitely going to try keeping her lights off a bit more, I'm sure my corys will like that too!
Could she be intimidated by the size of the tank? My other female is in a 5g and she seems to be thriving!

Last edited by leedavidford; 04-27-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:25 PM   #4 
VivianKJean

I don't think so. My very tiny female was in a 5 gallon tank and did fine. There was also tons of places of her to hide.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:39 PM   #5 
leedavidford

my other female cersei is in a 5g and my male is in a different 5g they love it. My male was originally in the 10g and hated it, he just hid in the corner all the time which is why I'm thinking maybe they just take a bit longer to adjust in a bigger tank. Thanks again for your help! :)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:28 AM   #6 
leedavidford

Ok, so her stripes are still there. I have tried keeping the light off more, I have limited the amount of time I have the bubbles on and I've added more places for her to hide.

She isn't acting strangely, out of all of my betta she is the most interactive, if I go remotely near her tank she's already at the front before I've gotten half way across the room, she doesn't hide at all. She's pretty much always active and she eats ferociously! She's not really showing any signs of stress apart from the stripes.

Could they be part of her natural coloration? I've read the more wild breeds have stripes all the time, betta Picta for example.
I know she was imported from Singapore.
Am now wondering if she could possibly be from a strain of wild betta.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:43 AM   #7 
VivianKJean

it could be. I know my female did get rid of her stress stripes for a long time. (i rescued her). I honestly won't worry too much. You could add a bit of stress coat to her tank if you wanted. That helped mine a bit.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:57 AM   #8 
leedavidford

Thanks! I'm just gonna keep my eye on her, as long as she's acting normally I'm gonna try not to worry so much! :)

Tags
10g, cory cats, stress stripes