Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #21 
Adastra

Is there anything I could explain better? I don't know what it is you didn't understand.

If you don't want to test your water and do everything else necessary to safely build a bacteria colony--and it really is a very simple thing, it just takes a little patience, but you only have to do it once--you have to go with the uncycled method and do regular 100% water changes. The frequency of the 100% changes will depend on the size of the tank--keep in mind that every time you do a 100% change, you'll need to clean out everything in the tank with hot water.

As far as additives, I use Seachem Prime as my dechlorinator. Because it's concentrated, it's best you can get for your money. If you want to buy a bacterial supplement to speed up your cycle, I only recommend Tetra SafeStart and Dr. Tim's One and Only--don't be tricked by similar products that do nothing. I use ACE hardware brand pure ammonia to feed my bacteria. Make sure that the ammonia you get has no perfumes or surfactants--when you shake it, it should not foam. If you ask to buy ammonia at the fish store, they will likely laugh at you. The best place to get it is a hardware store.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:11 PM   #22 
AaryonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Is there anything I could explain better? I don't know what it is you didn't understand.

If you don't want to test your water and do everything else necessary to safely build a bacteria colony--and it really is a very simple thing, it just takes a little patience, but you only have to do it once--you have to go with the uncycled method and do regular 100% water changes. The frequency of the 100% changes will depend on the size of the tank--keep in mind that every time you do a 100% change, you'll need to clean out everything in the tank with hot water.

As far as additives, I use Seachem Prime as my dechlorinator. Because it's concentrated, it's best you can get for your money. If you want to buy a bacterial supplement to speed up your cycle, I only recommend Tetra SafeStart and Dr. Tim's One and Only--don't be tricked by similar products that do nothing. I use ACE hardware brand pure ammonia to feed my bacteria. Make sure that the ammonia you get has no perfumes or surfactants--when you shake it, it should not foam. If you ask to buy ammonia at the fish store, they will likely laugh at you. The best place to get it is a hardware store.
Thanks, can u run me through, step by step how to build a bacteria colony, and why it is needed? and what is needed?
Im sorry if im being an idiot... lol im not usually like this
AaryonN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #23 
Adastra

Man, you are giving me wrist pains with all these long posts. I don't really have time to go over it with you tonight, I suggest googling the Nitrogen Cycle--there are plenty of good articles out there that probably explain it better than I do.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #24 
AaryonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
Man, you are giving me wrist pains with all these long posts. I don't really have time to go over it with you tonight, I suggest googling the Nitrogen Cycle--there are plenty of good articles out there that probably explain it better than I do.
I just need to know why i need the bacteria in my tank?
Old 08-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #25 
kuklachica

There is a cycling sticky in the bowls/habitats section. It explains everything!
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:59 PM   #26 
AaryonN

Thanks! I just read the sticky, i understand now!! YAY

However one thing is bothering me... Once the cycle is complete, do u do a 100% water change?? and if you do, then what is the whole point of doing the cycle since the water is gone now?
Old 08-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #27 
KBoone

Just a suggestion. . .

Get two 2.5 gallons instead of two 1.5 and skip teh extra Betta for now. Leanr a little more before you overwhelm yourself.

I've had Bettas for years. For a long, long time I had only one at a time. My VT I currently have, I had for a year and a half before getting anymore. And it always comes down to, when I get some extra money, spoiling the ones I already have and then, if there is anything left, I might consider another one.

They are FUN to collect. But they are living things, not dolls. Make sure you can give each of them the best care possible before commiting.

Oh, and I would use pellets instead of flakes. It is much easier to keep your tank/bowl clean with them and Bettas prefer them. Also, if you choose to use flakes, be certain they are specifically formulated for Bettas and not just for tropical fish.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:27 PM   #28 
AaryonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoone View Post
Just a suggestion. . .

Get two 2.5 gallons instead of two 1.5 and skip teh extra Betta for now. Leanr a little more before you overwhelm yourself.

I've had Bettas for years. For a long, long time I had only one at a time. My VT I currently have, I had for a year and a half before getting anymore. And it always comes down to, when I get some extra money, spoiling the ones I already have and then, if there is anything left, I might consider another one.

They are FUN to collect. But they are living things, not dolls. Make sure you can give each of them the best care possible before commiting.

Oh, and I would use pellets instead of flakes. It is much easier to keep your tank/bowl clean with them and Bettas prefer them. Also, if you choose to use flakes, be certain they are specifically formulated for Bettas and not just for tropical fish.
Okay :D i'll keep that in mind.
Once the cycle is complete, do u do a 100% water change?? and if you do, then what is the whole point of doing the cycle since the water is gone now?
Old 08-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #29 
KBoone

The point is: the bacteria is still in your filter media and gravel.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:12 PM   #30 
AaryonN

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBoone View Post
The point is: the bacteria is still in your filter media and gravel.
so... after the cycle, don't clean the gravel?