Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2014, 03:56 PM   #1 
Cerulean

Exclamation Help me to end my boys pain please

So, many of you have been helping me in treating my boy with the bad fin and body rot over the last 3 months, but it is now much worse. I have tried many courses of many medicines and in the end to know avail. After much thought, sadness and consideration mostly on his part, I have decided it is too far gone and I can't stand to watch him suffer anymore . he is just rotting away in front of me each day and it is heartbreaking. I know what I am asking is not an easy thing but Iwant to humainly uthenize him now. Yester day when I looked his back rot had spread alot since the day before and is open and red and today again worse and that is with treatment in perfectly clean water. So at least this way he will be restored to a painless version of his former beauty andwill swim aaround in peace with all the fishies under the rainbow bridge. Please help me, tell me how I can do this for him. Thank you very much for your help. Sad mommy to Calypso my avatar. My almost 4 year old betta and I will miss him and his beauty.
Cerulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:56 PM   #2 
JelloBetta

If the medicine you used didn't work or anything else for that matter, I don't know what else could. Perhaps swimming beneath the Rainbow Bridge is best...I'm sorry.
JelloBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:12 PM   #3 
Cerulean

Thx Jello, I do believe it is best at this point. I just need to know how to do it kindly.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 PM   #4 
VivianKJean

Clove Oil (you can buy it at health foods stores) is the best for putting your babies to rest. The best way to do it is to get a small container - like a tupperware container of sorts. Put some tank water into it and an air store or something like it so there is some sort of flow. Add the clove oil. Wait like a minute or two so the oil is well dispersed in the water. Then gentle add your baby. I prefer to walk away at this point because I can't stand to see them move on. Come back in about 30 minutes (you want to make sure that he has been fully put the rest) and then dispose of your fish as you would normally.
In terms of how much - it shouldn't take that much. like a splash or so will do. If your nervous about how much -- a little too much is better than too little.
what the clove oil does is basically numb him and put him to sleep slowly and painlessly.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:38 PM   #5 
Cerulean

OK thank you. It has taken a long time and this decision was not make easily or lightly by any means. People on this site, please don't judge me to harshly as I really do believe I am doing the best for him. It is heartbreaking after 3 months of daily water changes and medication courses and watching and hoping and so much more only to see him getting literally eaten alive. Like my sister said "your fish has flesh eating disease and it is time" I can't stand it any more and don't want him in any more pain.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #6 
VivianKJean

I am not judging you at all. I completely understand. It got to a point with one of my previous babies. I could stand to see him suffer anymore. I believe that when its time, you know. It's a difficult choice but at the same time you don't want him to suffer.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:04 PM   #7 
Cerulean

Thank you, that helps. I am curious about something though. If it is an oil and we are putting it in water, how does it work as the two don't mix?
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #8 
VivianKJean

Thats why you add an air stone (or something similar). It helps keep the oil disrupted in the water (similar to how when you shake a bottle of oil based salad dressing it gets mixed together).

Here's a good video video that shows you how to do it exactly (don't worry, a fish isn't euthanized on camera) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWtEmGrLSN0
Old 05-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #9 
Cerulean

Thank you so much Vivian
Old 05-02-2014, 08:45 PM   #10 
VivianKJean

Anytime. Again, I am so sorry. This stuff is never easy but you are doing right by him and he will be swimming happily under the rainbow bridge.