Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-01-2014, 12:06 AM   #1 
km1263

Betta Sick

Hello everyone!

So, recently my Betta's health has gone downhill. He doesn't seem to be eating anything I give him, and just sits around in various corners of the tank all day. (It's a five gallon tank.) The tank is heated between 75 and 80 degrees and he also has a filter.

He has one white spot that's on one of his fins. He seems to scratch across the gravel a lot. He leans up against anything and everything, I've even caught him laying on top of one of the plastic plants.

He's gotten sick before, and at that time I had given him some Lifeguard tablets that really perked him up and he went back to his old active self. I tried them again this time since they were so effective last time and they didn't work. I currently have him on a Melafix treatment and that doesn't seem to be doing much either.
I noticed when I began Melafix that there were lots of stringy lines of poop hanging around everywhere that I've never seen before in my year of having him.

Any ideas on what I can do or what it is? I fear he doesn't have much time.
km1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:10 AM   #2 
Aquatail

Scratching on things and stringy poo indicates parasites. Is the poo white? I don't think Melafix will help much. It's not really a medication, more of a potential boost for some mild things.

The white spot, too, is it new or has it been there for awhile?
Aquatail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 03:44 AM   #3 
km1263

It was white. Also, the spot isn't new. I noticed it before the first treatment I gave him but he ended up acting fine so I didn't think much of it. But I do think it's grown in size a bit.
Old 05-01-2014, 04:30 AM   #4 
Aquatail

Ok, I think your little guy has parasites. White, stringy poo and scratching on stuff indicates parasites. The white spot I'm not that sure about, but if you could get a picture that may help. However, since it's been there awhile and hasn't seemed to negatively effect him, I wouldn't think it's the culprit here. Still, if you could post a picture that would be good since you said it seems to have grown a bit.

For him right now though, since you already did one round of Lifeguard and it didn't help, I would try API General Cure.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:13 PM   #5 
km1263

Okay, thanks! I'll be on the lookout for API General Cure. I'll also try to get some pics of him posted soon.
Old 05-01-2014, 03:36 PM   #6 
Aquatail

Except for online, the only place I've found it would be Petsmart, if there's one in your area. Maybe stores in your area carry different things, but I thought I'd chip in what the availability in my area was.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:00 PM   #7 
km1263

Picked the medicine up from the store today. Had to travel a little bit out of town but that was okay. I'll keep you updated on how the treatment goes!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:32 PM   #8 
Aquatail

I hope it helps! Please keep us updated!
Old 05-04-2014, 06:17 PM   #9 
km1263

Hey! Just put in the second dose. Haven't seen much change yet but hopefully I'll see that soon.

In the meantime I finally snapped a pic of the spot on him.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/r0e93l.jpg
http://oi57.tinypic.com/14v2o2e.jpg

(The white specs in the water are the medicine)
Old 05-13-2014, 11:46 PM   #10 
km1263

So after the treatment there were no changes. He has stopped eating anything I put in the tank now. I think it's just little Rio's time to go. :(