Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 PM   #1 
Cutar

Betta doesnt seem to be eating

I have had my betta for two days and what I have for him is the pellet food. He eats one and then spits it out and then eats it again and spits it out. Sometimes he swallows and others he never eats it?
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:50 PM   #2 
BettaLover143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutar View Post
I have had my betta for two days and what I have for him is the pellet food. He eats one and then spits it out and then eats it again and spits it out. Sometimes he swallows and others he never eats it?
Try feeding him dry or live bloodworms...I had the same problem with my betta.....hope he eats that .....but if he doesnt...he might be depressed....how is his tank or bowl setup? does he have plants or little hideaway? if not get it right away...this would make him happy and then he will start to eat....
BettaLover143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #3 
Cutar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaLover143 View Post
Try feeding him dry or live bloodworms...I had the same problem with my betta.....hope he eats that .....but if he doesnt...he might be depressed....how is his tank or bowl setup? does he have plants or little hideaway? if not get it right away...this would make him happy and then he will start to eat....

Yes his cage is on page 136 I believe. He has two plants a hide a heater and a statue. I was thinking of getting those frozen bloodworms but Im not sure where to get them around here
Cutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #4 
Adastra

It's normal for fish to not want to eat for the first few days. Try soaking the pellets in a little tank water before giving them to him--this will release their "scent" making them more appetizing for the betta, and soaking the pellets helps prevent bloating.

You can find frozen food at any fish store or Petco/Petsmart. Look for a small freezer in the fish section or ask an employee to find them for you.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #5 
KBoone

I have a couple of guys that do that, it seems, just as play. They eat a pellet. Give it another and they do that, eat and spit, eat and spit. Eat. Another one and they eat without spitting. There really seems to be no rhyme or reason. As long as there are no other signs of illness and he doesn't look malnourished, I wouldn't worry too much.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote