Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-01-2010, 11:28 AM   #1 
sanosfish

white scale

What appears to be a large white scale on the verge of peeling off has appeared on the front of my bettas head, in addition there seems to be a small black growth on top of the scale - he's in a 10 gal, filtered tank that i do 25% water change every week and is fed only every other day.

is it a type of infection? what can i do to help my betta =\

sorry for the picture quality
Attached Images

sanosfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:23 PM   #2 
FuulieQ

That's very unusual...

I'm going to bring your topic back to the front page so someone will hopefully look at it who knows what it is. :c Poor boy.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:25 PM   #3 
Zoelie

This ALMOST looks what I just posted about my fish except it's not white but it's green and no black spot..just a random lump..
Zoelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:29 PM   #4 
Adastra

Have you tested your water recently? You should test your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels to be sure that something didn't happen to disrupt your cycle and cause the fish to become ill.

Is the water heated? How is the fish acting? Is he normal, less active than usual, lethargic, hiding, or darting? Is he eating?

For now I would just do what you can to make sure the water is as clean as possible and that the temperature is stable.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 PM   #5 
sanosfish

Thank you FuulieQ!

It's a filtered 10 gal tank thats kept at a constant 78degrees. I haven't run a water test yet but "stress" is swimming around and eating as usual - no signs of lethargy. I did a near 50% water change earlier this week hoping it would help. I'll check the water and keep changing the water and hopefully things get better.
sanosfish is offline   Reply With Quote