Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 03:32 AM   #1 
Garfunkle09

AQ Salt not working

I just bought my Betta, Kiwi. Without realizing it, I'd bought a fish tha has severe fin rot. I've only had him for 5 days, and yesterday I started to use AQ Salt. His fins aren't just fringed. They're torn, shredded, side fins are 1/3 the size they should be, and on the bottom fin, he has two white spots. His fins are also curling at the ends. He's in a 2 gallon tank. I just started putting 1/2 tsp per gallon in tap water. I have a heater set at about 80 F. I feed him a mix between flakes, pellets and dried black worms. The salt seems to be doing more harm than good for his fins. If there is anything I can do please let me know! Thank you!
Garfunkle09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:38 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Are you sure the white spots are not ich?

Also, what kind of water changes are you making-how much and how often, is the tank filtered any live plants and what kind if any additives are you using?
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 11:47 AM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Are you using water conditioner?

Don't feel too bad. I bought a fish in the same condition. Most of his fins are back now. I'm just waiting on his tailfin to heal.

It takes time to heal him.

Answer OldFishLady she's one of the most experienced betta keepers on the net. With her advice my fish has been getting beter. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:12 PM   #4 
Garfunkle09

Before the salt was added, every other day. 100%. Now with the salt, every day 100%. No additives, just tap water. No live plants. I had a silk plant made special or bettas, a treasure chest that he can hide in and gravel in it. But with the every day water changes, i took out everything but the chest so he can hide somewhere. I'm really not sure if it is ick. But its clear that his fins are getting worse just over a matter of hours.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:04 PM   #5 
vaygirl

No water conditioner at all? You have to use water conditioners. There is chlorine and other harsh metals in tap water that will kill a fish.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #6 
Romad
TFK Moderator

+1 on what Vaygirl said. You need a good conditioner to add to your tapwater. Prime is the best out there in my humble opinion.
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:02 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Unless you are on well water-you will need a dechlorinator of some type. Depending on your location you can have chlorine and chloramines that are harmful if not deadly to fish

I would QT the Betta and increase the aquarium salt to 1tsp/gal along with 100% daily water changes for the next 10 days and then every other day 100% water changes for 5 more days. Along with a high protein diet. This treatment is also effective for Ich.
If you have IAL or oak leaf-adding this can also help

Are you sure he is not tail biting

Also, filtration-sometimes the current of filter can be part of the problem

Do you know if you have hard or soft water? sometimes hard water can be a cause especially with CT IME-I would not try to change this with chemicals however.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:11 PM   #8 
Maryrox247

You need to use declorinator! Tap water is only safe for humans to consume because chlorine and other chemicals are added and these are absolutely deadly to fish, just like Vaygirl said.

By the way, do you have a thermometer? If you dont you should get one because just because the heater is set to 80 degrees doesnt mean the water is 80 degrees. (ex. my 17 gallon tank heater is set to a little over 80 and the water is about 78.)

By the way i agree with the treatment oldfishlady suggested.

Last edited by Maryrox247; 08-05-2010 at 06:14 PM.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #9 
wallywestisthebest333

Just remember at every water change you need to use the dechlorinator. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 AM   #10 
Garfunkle09

THANK YOU SO MUCH. Will buy some tomorrow. I'll keep you posted. Hopefully he gets better. *fingers crossed*