Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 10:12 AM   #31 
FloridaBettas239

Here is a link I found about IAL..

http://www.indianalmondleaves.com/chemistry.php

Yes oak leaves release tannins into the water and it's better than nothing, I even have oak tree's and have used them , But as far as I know the chemmical properties of the tannin's in oak leave's has not been proven as much as IAL. And bettas dont live in oak leave water they live in IAL black water so even thoe oak release's a tannin's into the water it dont work as good as IAL . The oak tannin's is known to release minerals and lower PH, but has not been proven to make the fish scales tougher so there less likely to have any problem's or cut tare's..... and yes oak does make a tannin's, it's not the black water extract of an IAL that bettas live in.
The link I posted above is not the one where I seen pro's and con's of the IAL vs Oak. I will keep looking.
And im not saying dont use oak, I have even used oak bark. If you cant afford IAL and you have oak around you, then use it because it's better than nothing...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:59 AM   #32 
Oldfishlady

http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Oak_Leaves

Leo Buss did spectrographic analysis on oak leaves and almond leaves and concluded that oak leaf was 99% identical to Indian almond leaf chemically and the fish can't tell the difference. He never published this information and he is a well know Betta breeder with the IBC...or he was at one time anyway....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:57 AM   #33 
FloridaBettas239

So he went threw all the trouble, all the work and all the money he spent doing the research. But didn't publish one thing? Okay!!! Anyway use what you want.
I am going to use want the betta splendens live in naturally which is IAL.
They have used it since the 1800s and there is nothing that has been proven to be better yet....
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fin damage, fin repair, heal, treatment