Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 05-02-2014, 10:15 PM   #1 
Tree

Question question about mystery snails:

So I have a 5 gallon tank for one of my bettas. I fear that with just my boy and a nerite snail, it wont give my NPT the food it needs to keep the plants healthy. I do add plant food time to time though.

Would I be able to add a mystery snail in the tank as well? Will my nerite snail be ok? And is a 5 gallon tank be large enough for a mystery snail?

I was thinking about adding shrimp that will take care of algae but I don't have a lot of cover right now and I think my boy will eat them. He's never attacked my nerite snail though.
what do you guys think? ^^

Thanks
Tree
Tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 AM   #2 
Wiggyl

what does aqadvisor.com say about the stocking with your tank parameters?

In my opinion, a mystery snail is alright, but if it's algae you want rid of, get another nerite. Mine do tend to munch on my plants though, so fair warning. They also will eat kale whereas my nerite will not. Then there's the body outside of the shell. My betta has stopped picking at their eyes for the most part, but it does happen on occasion.

I've also had ghost shrimp. I never had a visible layer of algae to tell if they were doing anything, but they do have a smaller bioload than a mystery snail if you get like 6. My betta did kill one of them and possibly more...I never found some of them. Some died, but now I have none.

So long story short, go for another nerite. They're pretty great! If you do get a mystery, just fair warning that they may eat away at your plants.
Wiggyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #3 
peachii

I have mystery snails in every (21) tank in the house. Tanks size from 2 gallons up to 46 gallons and they do just fine in all of them.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #4 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggyl View Post
what does aqadvisor.com say about the stocking with your tank parameters?

In my opinion, a mystery snail is alright, but if it's algae you want rid of, get another nerite. Mine do tend to munch on my plants though, so fair warning. They also will eat kale whereas my nerite will not. Then there's the body outside of the shell. My betta has stopped picking at their eyes for the most part, but it does happen on occasion.

I've also had ghost shrimp. I never had a visible layer of algae to tell if they were doing anything, but they do have a smaller bioload than a mystery snail if you get like 6. My betta did kill one of them and possibly more...I never found some of them. Some died, but now I have none.

So long story short, go for another nerite. They're pretty great! If you do get a mystery, just fair warning that they may eat away at your plants.
That was my fear with the Mystery snails and the plants. I want another nerite snail but I only want one. I hope I just order one at my LFS. =P

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
I have mystery snails in every (21) tank in the house. Tanks size from 2 gallons up to 46 gallons and they do just fine in all of them.

thanks for the input. I'll go for another nerite, that way my plants will not chewed on. LOL
Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #5 
Blue Fish

Mystery snails love company, but I don't believe it has to be another mystery. My guys seem to appreciate the company of my ramshorns as much as another mystery. :)

They do eat plants, but only the dead portions. They will not harm or chew down healthy growth. :)

Also, if you throw in a slice of cucumber every couple of days, they'll leave your plants alone because they MUCH prefer the cucumber, lol!
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #6 
Tree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fish View Post
Mystery snails love company, but I don't believe it has to be another mystery. My guys seem to appreciate the company of my ramshorns as much as another mystery. :)

They do eat plants, but only the dead portions. They will not harm or chew down healthy growth. :)

Also, if you throw in a slice of cucumber every couple of days, they'll leave your plants alone because they MUCH prefer the cucumber, lol!
thanks =D

how much do they lay and how large are their eggs? Do they reproduce fast? I have had one before but never with a planted tank and not as long as my Nerites.