Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 04:26 PM   #1 
Welsh

Torn on what to do

Well, after a week of cycling I finally put Elmo in to his 8 gallon new home on tuesday which I thought he would love but apparently not. It was bare so I added a anacharis from the other tank, it has no light at the moment so the plant will probably die but it will do for now and I also put in a ceramic pot and a little stone bridge that I made. It isn't the most appealing of my 3 tanks but until I find a hood that can hold a light I am limited.

Anyway, I know bettas prefer to be by theirselves but this little guy is breaking my heart. Initially the tank was bought in order for me to divide but I went off that idea, now seeing Elmo not making the most of the tank and also due to the fact that no other fish will be able to go in a tank that small i'm back to debating whether to divide or just spruce it up a bit.

Help me please !!! lol

Diolch yn Fawr
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:33 PM   #2 
weluvbettas

you could put some ghost shrimp in there with him?
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #3 
wallywestisthebest333

Snails are great fun! =] But if I remember correctly you already have one right? =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:38 PM   #4 
Welsh

Yeah, I've been toying with ghost shrimp but I don't really fancy it lol. I'm really considering dividing and getting a pet store crowntail lol
Old 08-06-2010, 05:57 PM   #5 
puppyrjjkm

I would divide it personally :) If he's not using the tank to its entirety another betta would sure love the space haha
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #6 
Welsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Snails are great fun! =] But if I remember correctly you already have one right? =]
I have 3 actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppyrjjkm View Post
I would divide it personally :) If he's not using the tank to its entirety another betta would sure love the space haha
Thats the exact same attitude that I have, I just don't know whether I should just cram it with plants and get a new hood with a light or divide but dividing it is more appealing to me haha.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #7 
Lion Mom

I would add more decorations - silk plants to since no light & give him a few days/week to adjust to the larger space.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #8 
KBoone

I'm with Lion Mom.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:53 AM   #9 
Kittles

I agree with a few of the above comments - he's probably adjusting. After I moved my betta from his 2 gallon to the 10 gallon he became very shy and still and I began to wonder if the transition had somehow made him ill. Shortly thereafter he began some serious tailbiting which obviously preyed upon my existing concerns and regret. I bought several decorations and live plants to help assuage Roy's stress, but nothing seemed to really change his attitude until I brought home 5 corydoras. He was so interested in them, enough so to forget about his tail (or lack thereof). And on that note, I think you could definitely introduce a few fish to your eight gallon if Elmo doesn't show any signs of change.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:30 AM   #10 
MustardGas

I divided my 10 gallon but now I regret it. I would have liked to do a bit of aquascaping but the divder won't allow anything nice. I have an extra 5 gallon eclipse but I'm not allowed to set it up.
MustardGas is offline   Reply With Quote