Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 11:10 AM   #11 
Oldfishlady

The best natural way I know to soften water is the method posted by Welch, peat moss, Canadian peat moss is the best for this IMO/E.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:50 AM   #12 
kikuhoshi

We have hard water. I haven't tested it, but there's a significant difference in our untreated & treated water. My parents put in water conditioner salts, and I use a water conditioner and aq. salts as my major additives, plus a little bettafix just to be safe. :) My fish both seem to be happy, though the boy has been exposed to this longer. :) My girl has stress strips, though I presume that's from having been moved to a container where she can see her "boyfriend" a lot more easily (split 10-gal).
kikuhoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:27 PM   #13 
FloridaBettas239

Man we live out in the country, we have a well and are water is hard hard. Like you go to take a shower the water hit's you in the face and knock's you out its so hard lol.
But anyway I dont have any problems, I use aquarium salt. If there's infection thats bad enough and not letting the fin repair, you might have to do a antibiotic, and then aquarium salt. And if you have IAL I would be using them the whole time...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 12:29 PM   #14 
FloridaBettas239

R.O water is the best water to use. Ask any highend saltwater or fresh water keeper.
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 PM   #15 
wallywestisthebest333

YAY! =D Discussion!

I'll try the peat moss but I think I'll hold off on that till I get to college and have my tank cycled. I think it would be easier for me that way because then I wouldn't be using it as much and it would have time to aerate. =]

LOL FB I know how you feel! XD I live out in the country too and I like to think the reason I stay so clean is because my water scrubs for me. :'D All our pots and pans have calcium buildup. :'D It's hilarious that I haven't grown much considering all the calcium I'm taking in! XD

I don't think the boiling would work for that reason because that's what gets left in the water/pot... If I had a way to catch the evaporate then it'd be a great method! =] Who knows? I might just do that one day If I can work out a system.

Water comes from Towers in Cities? I never did understand how it got up there when they explained it in science. =/ Something to do with pressure and the fact that water clings to stuff and moves up. Similar to how land plants take in water. But that was about where my understanding stopped. =/ I didn't care though because we have ground water treated by a plant! XD

Wait... wouldn't it still be ground water then? I think I'm wrong. Do the towers collect rainwater? XD

So does Aq. Salt soften water? If so how much would I put in because I definately have that available right now. =]

I actually stopped using it a week ago because I'd been using it so long. I don't want Genie's kidneys to fail. =[
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finrot, hard, hard water, water