Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #31 
noenyu

Thank you. I'll look into the scrubbing pads. Are Siphons needed?
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #32 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Oh cool! =D Did you get the glass one that I have? =] I have the Aquaculture 5 gallon kit. =] Mine also came with an aquatech. =]

Congrats Noenyu on the new tank! =] Hope it arrives safely! =]
I have both the glass 5 gal. from Wal-Mart that came with the Aqua-Tech & now the 5 gal. acrylic Hawkeye from Wal-Mart that also came with an Aqua-Tech.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #33 
wallywestisthebest333

Good luck with cycling! =] The positive is that you can decorate the tank while cycling. =] So you can decide what looks best and stuff before you add Taco. =]

You also gave me an idea for a fish name! =] (will remain a secret until I get another Betta)
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #34 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
I have both the glass 5 gal. from Wal-Mart that came with the Aqua-Tech & now the 5 gal. acrylic Hawkeye from Wal-Mart that also came with an Aqua-Tech.
Ah. =] I'm happy with my Aquatech! =] But I'd suggest getting a fluval pre-intake sponge for it. =/
It almost sucked up Alakazam while he was still alive. Plus it baffles the filter REALLY well! =]
All you need is a plastic bottle baffle and you're set! =]

Right now I'm going poor-woman with my tank using an aquaclear sponge refill on the inside of my intake tube to baffle/protect it but I'll be looking into the fluval as it's prettier because it matches and it goes over the intake. =]
Old 08-06-2010, 07:46 PM   #35 
Lion Mom

I use an AquaClear sponge rubber banded to the filter (where the water comes back in) on my betta tanks. Lets me control the flow - move it up, more flow & move it down, less flow - and it's another place for the good bacteria to grow. :)

I just think it's a lot better system than the plastic half bottle.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #36 
XSprinkleFaceX

Lion Mom how do you do that? I need to baffle my tank and the plastic bottle method didn't work since my fish is a little too curious and swam into it. He would've drowned himself if i would've kept it >_>
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 PM   #37 
wallywestisthebest333

Yeah that is a great system =]

I mainly have it for fin protection though as I really think it'd kill me if after he finally heals; Genie gets sucked into the filter and his fins rip! >.<

The baffling and pre-filtering are just added bonuses! =]
Old 08-06-2010, 08:06 PM   #38 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSprinkleFaceX View Post
Lion Mom how do you do that? I need to baffle my tank and the plastic bottle method didn't work since my fish is a little too curious and swam into it. He would've drowned himself if i would've kept it >_>
I just rubber band the AquaClear sponge to the filter (the same place you would put the half bottle) - put the rubber band around the filter & the sponge & VOILA!!!!
Old 08-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #39 
XSprinkleFaceX

Sweet! I wonder if you can do that with a normal sponge like from the dollar store...if not i guess i'll have to go to Big Al's or Petsmart...

Edit: PLUS, it'dbe better since tape doesn't work with my filter since the water un-glues it...thats another reason why the bottle-baffle (my word for it) was no good.

Last edited by XSprinkleFaceX; 08-06-2010 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Forgot something
XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 PM   #40 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Yeah that is a great system =]

I mainly have it for fin protection though as I really think it'd kill me if after he finally heals; Genie gets sucked into the filter and his fins rip! >.<

The baffling and pre-filtering are just added bonuses! =]
Oh, for a lot of them I made my own pre-filters with a hunk of AquaClear sponge. Cut an "X" into the middle of it, slide it over the intake & rubber band it on to make sure it doesn't slip off. Put a decoration or something in front of it and we are good to go.

I have a LOT of AQ sponges from when I used to raise fresh water angels and had a load of grow out tanks. Kept them 'cuz I just KNEW they would come in handy!!! I always have extras in various sizes in my 75 gal. tank's filters so I can seed a new tank when I need to.