Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 08:37 PM   #41 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
Oh, for a lot of them I made my own pre-filters with a hunk of AquaClear sponge. Cut an "X" into the middle of it, slide it over the intake & rubber band it on to make sure it doesn't slip off. Put a decoration or something in front of it and we are good to go.

I have a LOT of AQ sponges from when I used to raise fresh water angels and had a load of grow out tanks. Kept them 'cuz I just KNEW they would come in handy!!! I always have extras in various sizes in my 75 gal. tank's filters so I can seed a new tank when I need to.

I didn't think of cutting an X into it... I was trying to make a circular hole... ._.
I feel so stupid right now. XD

Yeah I'm gonna shove extra sponge in there when my tank is cycled and running again so that it seeds it. =] Just in case I decide to turn my 2 gallon hospital tank into a 2 gallon permanent home. XD

You can never have too many sponges! =]

Plus with their texture they make great exfoliating sponges! =] I actually tried a cut up piece I never used this morning and it worked pretty well. My skin was really soft. =]

Yes I know I'm weird. XD Yes I did loose my face scrubber. =] I had it lying in my bedroom floor and figured Why not? XD

Also because somehow I didn't see it:
Yes a siphon is needed. =] It gets gunk out of your gravel that could build up there and become toxic to your fish if accidentally released. Also if there's a lot of leftover food accumulated on and in your gravel, you'll get little worms in your tank that feed off of it. They're not bad, just annoying. =]... I think at least....

I mainly use my siphon for getting water from my tank to my bucket. =] It makes life a lot easier. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 PM   #42 
KBoone

I LOVE my siphon! It is an absolute MUST.
KBoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:15 AM   #43 
noenyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Good luck with cycling! =] The positive is that you can decorate the tank while cycling. =] So you can decide what looks best and stuff before you add Taco. =]

You also gave me an idea for a fish name! =] (will remain a secret until I get another Betta)
Will be looking forward to finding out the name! I need to come up with a tank plan. I want to make it look as natural as I can for him.
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:36 AM   #44 
noenyu

Quote:
I didn't think of cutting an X into it... I was trying to make a circular hole... ._.
I feel so stupid right now. XD

Yeah I'm gonna shove extra sponge in there when my tank is cycled and running again so that it seeds it. =] Just in case I decide to turn my 2 gallon hospital tank into a 2 gallon permanent home. XD

You can never have too many sponges! =]

Plus with their texture they make great exfoliating sponges! =] I actually tried a cut up piece I never used this morning and it worked pretty well. My skin was really soft. =]

Yes I know I'm weird. XD Yes I did loose my face scrubber. =] I had it lying in my bedroom floor and figured Why not? XD

Also because somehow I didn't see it:
Yes a siphon is needed. =] It gets gunk out of your gravel that could build up there and become toxic to your fish if accidentally released. Also if there's a lot of leftover food accumulated on and in your gravel, you'll get little worms in your tank that feed off of it. They're not bad, just annoying. =]... I think at least....

I mainly use my siphon for getting water from my tank to my bucket. =] It makes life a lot easier. =]
Try this for a facial scrub: 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons honey, 1/2 cup raw sugar or brown sugar. Mix it all together and put in a plastic container. It's pretty nice. If you make a lot its pretty good for an all over body scrub as well.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:56 AM   #45 
noenyu

So I read how to do a cycle and I know its to get the good bacteria on the filter sponge but is it okay to do a 100% water change after the cycle? Okay to clean decor after the cycle? Or is the purpose to get bacteria on the decor as well? Can I put Taco into a fully cycled tank that hasn't had a water change? Still trying to understand all this sorry.
Old 08-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #46 
noenyu

I don't have my tank set up yet (was a busy day) but for anyone thinking about getting the Hawkeye tank, it is pretty nice. Mine also came with an Aqua-tech filter. The Hawkeye seems somewhat energy efficient. The light has the Energy Star seal.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #47 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by noenyu View Post
I don't have my tank set up yet (was a busy day) but for anyone thinking about getting the Hawkeye tank, it is pretty nice. Mine also came with an Aqua-tech filter. The Hawkeye seems somewhat energy efficient. The light has the Energy Star seal.

Yup - I LOVE my Hawkeye tank!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:19 PM   #48 
noenyu

Quote:
^ ^ ^

That would be it. =] I have that verry one. I got it at walmart a few months ago. =] We got it while grocery shopping. =]

Forgot: If you don't already have it (Though I'm assuming you do or Taco'd be dead by now)

Water conditioner

Also forgot to tell you you need a heater and thermometer. I recommend the regular Marineland Stealth (NOT THE PRO), and the Hydor Theo http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368

You'll need a heater and this one is adjustable so the temp won't fluctuate. Temp fluctiations can kill fish and the Tetra Submersible Heater's temp fluctuates like CRAZY! Seriously don't get that one. =/

You can find both of the adjustable heaters I suggested in any Petsmart or PetCo but it's cheaper online. =] Like 1/2 price. If you need it now though you should go get it. =]

As far as thermometers go just buy a little suction-cup tube thermometer at walmart for about $2. It's nice. =]
Is the Marineland Stealth Visi-Therm the one you have? I can't find another Stealth other then the Pro.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:45 PM   #49 
wallywestisthebest333

Nope. Once you have your tank cycled you shouldn't do a 100% Water Change ever. If you do you'll kill all the beneficial bacteria. =[ The point of cycling is to never do 100% water changes which is easier on the fish and the aquarist. =]

You can do a 75% change if you feel that it's necessary but don't empty the tank, make sure the filter is still full of water, and don't clean the gravel. That's one of the main places the bacteria live. =]

You can clean the decor after cycling if you want but you don't really need to and the bacteria settle there as well. =]

I don't know if I have the visitherm of not.. lemme take a look at my packaging...

Wow. after watching it like a hawk for 3 months I've lost it. ._. I don't know what to say.

I looked it up on petsmart.com and it turns out I've got the visi-therm. I love it but you could get it cheaper at drs. foster and smith aquatics. =]

I've got the 25 watt and it's heating my 2 gallon perfectly! =]
Old 08-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #50 
wallywestisthebest333

Thanks for the scrub recipe btw! =] I'll try it! =]