Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-05-2010, 01:14 AM   #1 
officialdees

Angry dead betta frys (IM MAD)

Ok it was my first time changing the betta frys tank I took them out and I cleaned the tank out really gud so I filled the tank up with water and I but the drops in there for it to help the water and the BettA FRY Nd I put the heater in there to let it get warmed up (I put the betta bowl in the tank so the betta can get used to the water) so 1 hr later I feed the betta frys before I had put them in the tank so I let them eat whatever they can within 5 mins so I gently put the bowl in the tank let them swim there way out ...everything was fine nd hr later they were all rolled in there side not swimming..SAD IDK WHY I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT
officialdees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 06:27 AM   #2 
dipsydoodlenoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialdees View Post
Ok it was my first time changing the betta frys tank I took them out and I cleaned the tank out really gud so I filled the tank up with water and I but the drops in there for it to help the water and the BettA FRY Nd I put the heater in there to let it get warmed up (I put the betta bowl in the tank so the betta can get used to the water) so 1 hr later I feed the betta frys before I had put them in the tank so I let them eat whatever they can within 5 mins so I gently put the bowl in the tank let them swim there way out ...everything was fine nd hr later they were all rolled in there side not swimming..SAD IDK WHY I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT

Was it effectively a 100% water change? (we did this to my boyfriends danio fry and lost all but 3 :().
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #3 
Kokonoko

I'm not experience at all in this field, but I thought from what I learned so far that you're not suppose to do water changes until 2 weeks after the fry has hatched? I'm not sure how old your fry are though. Also though, on what dipsy commented on, I thought this was also a 'no no'? a 100% water changes weren't a good idea at all for growing frys. The idea is to keep thier environment as constant as possible without anything to excessive?

I don't know, I'm very interested in hearing an experience response though, please correct me if I'm wrong >.<;
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:57 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

On my fry tanks I make 50% daily water changes once I start feeding them-usually when they are roughly 6 days old more or less. They feed off infusoria and other micro-critters that are in the tank until then.
I use the more natural method in a 10g tank, heavy planted and full to the top with water. I keep lots of common snails and shrimp in the tank for clean up and to help in making infusoria for fry food.

I would not recommend netting fry or making 100% water changes on their tank until they are at least 6-8 week old.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 09:44 AM   #5 
officialdees

@all thanxs alot
Old 08-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialdees View Post
so I gently put the bowl in the tank let them swim there way out ...everything was fine nd hr later they were all rolled in there side not swimming
As everyone said water changes should wait till later.

Also: Had you been slowly adding the new tank water to the old tank water? It sounds like you just waited for the temperatures to balance then let them swim into the brand new water without adding the brand new watter slowly to the old water.
You need to add the new tank water to the old tank water slowly so that you don't shock them with the other new properties of the new water.

I'm sorry about your fry. =[

Good luck with your next spawn.

Sorry I'm editing this so much. Tired eyes jumble words. =[

I also wanted to say I could be wrong and if I am I'm sorry for wasting time. =/

Last edited by wallywestisthebest333; 08-06-2010 at 08:19 PM.
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 11:31 PM   #7 
officialdees

@wallwestisthebest333 right.no i just took the betta frys out intell i changed the water and when the water was warm enough for them to swim in...so basically what i would is do half and half with the water....its okay there in a better place the had a new batches of sibling yesterday so i have replacement...no its ookay i need it to learn mo9re about things thanxs alot