Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #1 
JamieTron

next spawn want your opinion on a pair to use :D

Okay soooo I have only 2 young males

Mr. Sunny who is a halfmoon white betta, I spawned him once already but I only had one fry survive. But I know he and his mate are a good spawning pair.

Name:  34207_10150212318940602_643130601_13163889_3197121_n.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  36.3 KB

OR I have Paul jr...(lol after my bf) who is a red double tail male. I have not attempted to breed him before. I have a few halfmoon females that are young I could choose from.

Name:  Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  68.5 KB

So do you think I should try my first pair again or my other male? I was leaning towards spawning my first pair again but if I do, does anyone know if white is a dominant color? My fry looks like the dad. The mom is pinkish in color with some other pastels mixed in.
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #2 
Adastra

I think I would put your white male into the pastel category rather than opaque white since he doesn't have that kind of powdery appearance I would associate with opaques. If you have a pastel HM lady, that would be the better choice between the two.

The DT looks to me like a DTVT to me, so you'd very likely just end up with a lot of regular veils with DT geno. You wouldn't see any DTs unless the female happened to be DT geno. I wouldn't breed him because the babies would be hard to place.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #3 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
I think I would put your white male into the pastel category rather than opaque white since he doesn't have that kind of powdery appearance I would associate with opaques. If you have a pastel HM lady, that would be the better choice between the two.

The DT looks to me like a DTVT to me, so you'd very likely just end up with a lot of regular veils with DT geno. You wouldn't see any DTs unless the female happened to be DT geno. I wouldn't breed him because the babies would be hard to place.
Thanks for your opinion I think you are right I don't have any female quite the same as my pastel male, she is just really light bodied with a bit of color. I have been searching though.

Yea as for the DBT I was hoping to breed the F2s for more doubles but if you think they would just be like all red veil tails for F1s then yea I see your point.

OK I will stick with the pair I already know Thanks a bunch! :D
Old 08-06-2010, 08:17 PM   #4 
doggyhog

I'd stick with Sunny too. If I were buying a fry I'd want one like him. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #5 
JamieTron

oh okay :D I shall stick with him!
Old 08-07-2010, 02:34 AM   #6 
indjo
TFK Moderator

If I'm not mistaken, Sunny is a metalic. So that would make him a platinum. If so, and you want to preserve the metalic color, thus you should breed him to another metalic (green, gold, copper, etc). I would not advise just any light color.You could read this:
www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABselectivebreeding.htm

For the double tail, you should get another DT female. Or if you plan to make a line of your own, you could try with a HM. But keep in mind that you would get many uneven lobed DT, VT, or even RT. Very few to none will be HM or DT.

Last edited by indjo; 08-07-2010 at 02:36 AM. Reason: misstyped
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 12:44 PM   #7 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Sunny is a metalic. So that would make him a platinum. If so, and you want to preserve the metalic color, thus you should breed him to another metalic (green, gold, copper, etc). I would not advise just any light color.You could read this:
www.bettaterritory.nl/BT-AABselectivebreeding.htm

For the double tail, you should get another DT female. Or if you plan to make a line of your own, you could try with a HM. But keep in mind that you would get many uneven lobed DT, VT, or even RT. Very few to none will be HM or DT.
oooo okay I was wondering because he is all shimmery, well I have another female that is blackish grey and has the same sheen as him? would that pair be okay would you think?
Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Yes, you should get metalics. But keep in mind that F1 will be dark colored. Inbreed F1 to the dad (if possible) then you should at least get a stronger platinum gene/pheno (?)......

I am trying the same, breeding platinum and gold (dragon) to copper females. So far I only reached F1, which are all dark copper. I think I've failed on the F2.... I don't see any fry. Perhaps they were too young (about 4 months)
Old 08-07-2010, 01:23 PM   #9 
JamieTron

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Yes, you should get metalics. But keep in mind that F1 will be dark colored. Inbreed F1 to the dad (if possible) then you should at least get a stronger platinum gene/pheno (?)......

I am trying the same, breeding platinum and gold (dragon) to copper females. So far I only reached F1, which are all dark copper. I think I've failed on the F2.... I don't see any fry. Perhaps they were too young (about 4 months)
Oh wow okay! Well I could try I find the dark platinum males to be quite beautiful so it would be cool to get some of those as a result. Do you know how to spread this to other colors? Like if I wanted to get some greens or blue platinums?
Old 08-07-2010, 01:41 PM   #10 
indjo
TFK Moderator

That is close to impossible, so I wouldn't even try it. I don't exactly know how to explain it, but green usually don't mix with platinum. The platinum or other light colored metalics only get the green's metalic. Perhaps you could try introducing green marbles. I don't really know because I haven't tried. I would only advise something I personally have experienced.