Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #1 
noenyu

Question Substrate and bettas

I saw these substrates, Eco-Complete Planted and Floramax http://www.caribsea.com/pages/produc...ted_aquar.html, and like the natural look to them. I know bettas once lived in rice paddies and I'd like to give my fish Taco a natural looking home. Does anyone use these? Are these safe for bettas?
noenyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:29 PM   #2 
RandomFish

I was looking for Eco-Complete but couldn't find it around where I live and really didn't want to pay for shipping. But yeah, it can be used for bettas and it's supposed to be good stuff.....just expensive IMO.

I ended up using the Walstad method: 1 inch of dried-up topsoil (no fertilizer added) mixed with crushed oyster shells and a 1-inch layer of medium-sized gravel on top of that. It was 1/3 the cost of Eco-Complete ($3 for potting soil and $7 for enough gravel for a 10-gallon).
RandomFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 04:45 PM   #3 
noenyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFish View Post
I was looking for Eco-Complete but couldn't find it around where I live and really didn't want to pay for shipping. But yeah, it can be used for bettas and it's supposed to be good stuff.....just expensive IMO.

I ended up using the Walstad method: 1 inch of dried-up topsoil (no fertilizer added) mixed with crushed oyster shells and a 1-inch layer of medium-sized gravel on top of that. It was 1/3 the cost of Eco-Complete ($3 for potting soil and $7 for enough gravel for a 10-gallon).
Thanks! I was thinking about doing Eco-complete with a pebble type gravel on top.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #4 
wallywestisthebest333

Quote:
Originally Posted by noenyu View Post
Thanks! I was thinking about doing Eco-complete with a pebble type gravel on top.
Cool! =D You're doing what I hope to do one day! =]
I can't wait to see what your tank ends up looking like! I have a feeling it's gonna be really pretty! =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #5 
noenyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywestisthebest333 View Post
Cool! =D You're doing what I hope to do one day! =]
I can't wait to see what your tank ends up looking like! I have a feeling it's gonna be really pretty! =]
It'll be a fun new experience. Just need to figure out the right plants and if I can afford them lol.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #6 
LisaC144

I use Eco-Complete in my 5g betta tank and my 120g community tank. My betta is doing perfectly fine with it and it is very natural looking as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #7 
noenyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaC144 View Post
I use Eco-Complete in my 5g betta tank and my 120g community tank. My betta is doing perfectly fine with it and it is very natural looking as well.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you
Old 08-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #8 
Drift

I carried a 20# bag around today while I was at the fish store, and then I remembered I need a heater. :'D $50 is usually my limit in one day. So my plants are going to need to be happy and grow out in my old blue/aqua gravel. Looks like very good stuff. :)
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:46 AM   #9 
noenyu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift View Post
I carried a 20# bag around today while I was at the fish store, and then I remembered I need a heater. :'D $50 is usually my limit in one day. So my plants are going to need to be happy and grow out in my old blue/aqua gravel. Looks like very good stuff. :)

Yeah, I'm wondering if I have the money to do real plant decor. Might have to wait and do silk plants first. Seems like they need more then my betta lol.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:47 AM   #10 
Drift

I went to the cheapest store in the area, bought a new light bulb, heater, and medication, and plants and it was $56.
Now I have a 10 gallon so it will be a little bit more.
I would buy everything in steps, it might make everything financially easier, with the plants last and set it off to the side.
They do take a little more care, but I feel it's worth the money and time. My two CT's personality has blossomed since they got relocated to my planted 10 gallon. :D
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote