Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #1 
Sarada

Test Kit

I'm sick of having tests done by my LPS and want to invest in a test kit. Any recommendations?
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:34 PM   #2 
vilmarisv

API kit if the best option but pretty pricey at about $34
I bought another brand on clearance for $4 but didn't have the Nitrate test UGH! Ended up having to buy that separate anyway.
vilmarisv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #3 
Sarada

Thanks, that's actually not a bad price compared to what I saw in store.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:15 PM   #4 
Sarada

I ordered it from Big Al's, along with some other stuff...oh how I love online shopping :S
Old 08-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #5 
Kittles

May it serve you well.
Kittles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

If you only have bettas and you dont have a saltwater tank, Then the the test strips, There easy, fast and clean. The API is nice dont get me wrong but if your only keeping fresh water fish or betts then you dont need all that crap diping water out driping this into it shake it, okay that is reading okay now get some more water test for the next thing.. Its like a full time job between cleaning tank doing water changes checking water levels. I just want to keep fish not a full time job. Like I said in another post everyone I no that has bought that API kit only used it threw the cycle then went and bought the strips, and don't follow me but I have went a month's without doing a water change, and tested the water, couldn't believe it was perfect, had a little smell to it but everything was fine.
Anyway if you want something easy and just to give you that peace of mind that you no what you water level's are then get the strip's even petsmart uses them at least the one buy me. But it's up to you at the end of the day..
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #7 
Sarada

Thanks, no Petsmart here though :P I order the whole kit from Big Al's
Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #8 
TheJadeBetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
If you only have bettas and you dont have a saltwater tank, Then the the test strips, There easy, fast and clean. The API is nice dont get me wrong but if your only keeping fresh water fish or betts then you dont need all that crap diping water out driping this into it shake it, okay that is reading okay now get some more water test for the next thing..
There is an API Master Freshwater Test Kit and an API Master Saltwater Test Kit. Saltwater and Freshwater require two different test kits.
I say go with either the API Test Kit. Since I haven't tried the test strips, but I planned on getting them anyway to try them.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote