Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #11 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebamd View Post
I'm a newbie too on the care of Betta's but you either got bad luck and keep picking the sick ones on the store or your problem is another contaminant on the water, maybe heavy metals. Do you check the Ph before putting them in? My gf's previous betta died because she forgot to check the Ph and it was too alkaline for the fish (over 7.8) resulting on it dying overnight. Remember, I play by ear here. :P
I don't believe your girlfriend's fish died because of the ph. I have high ph (8) and my two oldest bettas are 2 years & 20 months. Except in RARE cases, fish will adjust to the ph, IMO.

As far as water conditioners go, I use Prime (as do a lot of people on the board). EXCELLENT product that takes care of chlorine, chlorimines, heavy metals, neutralizes ammonia and it is economical using only 2 drops per gallon.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #12 
PeiMai

ok just an update im about to head out to the shop again. I talked with them im getting a test kit. cycled water that they have and a new fish.
Wish me luck
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #13 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by peimai View Post
ok just an update im about to head out to the shop again. I talked with them im getting a test kit. Cycled water that they have and a new fish.
Wish me luck
good luck!!! :-d
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #14 
Oldfishlady

How are you acclimating them from pet shop water to your water?

How do the Bettas look and act at the pet shop?

Take some of your source water to the pet shop with you and have them test it and have them write the number down for your source water and the water in the Betta cup you buy and post those numbers so we can see what is going on and compare your water and the betta cup water.

With 4 bettas dead within 24 hours of being in your water, if it is not bad fish it may be your source water and/or acclimation method...

Gets some Prime water conditioner/dechlorinator

With all the knowledge on this forum I am sure we can help you keep a Betta alive....so don't give up.....this is a wonderful hobby......and just a little bump in the road that I am sure can be fixed....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #15 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How are you acclimating them from pet shop water to your water?

How do the Bettas look and act at the pet shop?

Take some of your source water to the pet shop with you and have them test it and have them write the number down for your source water and the water in the Betta cup you buy and post those numbers so we can see what is going on and compare your water and the betta cup water.

With 4 bettas dead within 24 hours of being in your water, if it is not bad fish it may be your source water and/or acclimation method...

Gets some Prime water conditioner/dechlorinator

With all the knowledge on this forum I am sure we can help you keep a Betta alive....so don't give up.....this is a wonderful hobby......and just a little bump in the road that I am sure can be fixed....

Ok I got the Prime conditioner/dechlorinator filled the tank back up treated per instructions on the bottle (2 drops per gallon) checked the pH in my tank 6.8 was the result trying to SLOWLY move it up just a touch before i get another fish. Once its at 7.0 for a little while I will go and do just what you said test the water of the tank at the shop and post it on here. It's probably somewhere in the same vicinity I would imagine if they are thriving there like I saw today(they looked so much better than the ones at the other place). As for acclimation period I floated the cup for about 20 minutes then followed the veried instructions I had been given first I was told to use the water from the cup, then I was told to use none of it. Now I realize i need to introduce small amounts of the new tank water into the bag before removing the fish and 'not' putting the shops water in mine. Am I on the right track?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:22 PM   #16 
Oldfishlady

Thats right and toss the pH tester and changer products......you don't need to stress over the pH......you change the pH without proper buffers it may swing back to what it was and then you have to go through the pH change each time you make a water change......try not to over think this and enjoy this wonderful hobby.......chalk it up to bad fish...acclimate them properly and you should be good to go....and I want pic.....lol......you will have so much fun once you get your happy healthy Betta....and you will......

IMO/E-the only chemical additive you need is a good dechlorinator and you have that now...Prime...good choice...by the way.....
Old 08-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #17 
PeiMai

Well OFL im trying to follow the advise people on here are so gracious to give me at least its consistent compared to these chain shops. The staff really try they do but to be honest I know they have very limited to no experience.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM   #18 
Kokonoko

*Thumbs up* You're -almost- deserving of a klondike bar. ALMOST! ;P But yea, it looks awesome so far. ^_^
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #19 
Oldfishlady

You have to remember that people in pet shop are often underpaid and under educated and their goal is to make money or profit from a sale...and people on forums are often hobbyist that care about you and the care provide to the fish and don't make a dime doing it......
Old 08-08-2010, 07:57 PM   #20 
PeiMai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
often hobbyist that care about you and the care provide to the fish and don't make a dime doing it......
That seems to be the key. doesnt it. You get money involved and the animals suffer. Sad but true. I was starting to think it was me. Although I seem to have a knack for leopard geckos I've had Pete for 12 years now and he is fat lazy and happy as a gecko can be.lollol Should I let this tank sit for a day or two or am I now good to go ph is aroun 6.8-7.0 temp is 76F Got some more plants with the neighbors donation to the cause.
If 76F isn't warm enough can you recommend a heater that would be effective and work in this 2 gallon hex tank that I have?