Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-08-2010, 12:22 PM   #1 
reptileboy

possible fin rot?

ok so if u look on my display pic you will see that the area around my fish's head s clear. well...now its starting to show black blotches. sorry i don't have a pic yet i will try to post one as soon as possible. but does this break out of black sound like fin rot? please help i don't want to loose my friend after only a month.
reptileboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #2 
Adastra

Are you talking about black spots on the fish's head? Your fish is likely going through a natural color change. Many fish gain a black mask or darker pigmentation around their face as they age. If your fish is acting normal, he's probably fine.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:02 PM   #3 
reptileboy

Ok thank you :)
reptileboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:27 PM   #4 
frogipoi

Finrot:
The tail/fin has pin sized holes and is starting to get shredded. The fin may even split in half. The edges of the fins are red, black, white, or clear. It will be hard to identify it on a butterfly(betta), and other bettas with the same colored fins. Black bettas are an example of a color hard to find fin rot on. Fin rot is caused by bad water quality or high ammonia. Ammonia levels should stay around 0, as 8 and over is super toxic. This illness can be cured by keeping the water temp around 80 and cleaning the water more often. Adding 1 teaspoon of AQ salt per 2.5 gallons will help also. Some cases the fin rot will eat the whole fin and work on the body. This will cause you to have to Euthenize(I spelled it wrong...) him. Preventing finrot is easy, you need to keep ammonia levels down (cycling recommended) and remove any thing that will hurt him such as plastic plants. That is all I know.
He probably doesn't have it
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote