Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #1 
FloridaBettas239

Can't Figure Out Problem, For The Life Of Me! (Read)

Okay so when I bought my fish from Thai, my friend ordered a pair also. But the male is acting funny. I told him give the fish a week to get back right he just got shipped around the world. So he let him rest a week, fresh water with aquarium salt and Indian almond leaves.
But during the week and now going on the 2nd week he is still acting.
Slow moving, don't eat like he should and last he has his fin clamped shut. If you put a mirror, female or male by him he will not flare his fins. We even let a female go with him so he would get over excited and start dancing and flaring but he won't display his fins but he will flare his gills...
So my friend contacted the breeder and he is going to send a sibling brother of the fish to my friend for free so my friend gave me the fish. He is just waiting on the new one.
Anyway has anyone had this problem. I have checked him for every disease and he seems good. Plus I have him is salt and IAL, so I am starting to think he might be depressed, but I just wanted to see if anyone has ran into this problem. Thank's
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #2 
FloridaBettas239

Well,
Thanks for everyone's input, nothing like throwing an idea out there...

Anyway the fish had to have some kind of infection or parasite. I put him in a 1.5 gallon hospital tank and hit him with "Betta revive" and he is already perking right up, 3 day I cant wait untill he is back to being healthy.
Also I talked with a well known breeder and she said to use quick cure next time. Which I already had that I was just waiting on my methylene blue to get here and I was reading about the betta revive. and it say's it's got methylene blue in it so I tried it. Just because it more of like something you give a betta when he his down and not doing good. And it really works great, BETTA REVIVE.
Now im going to start putting a little methylene blue in my tank's
specialy the breeding tank because it kills fungus and thats the number 1 killer of fry is velvet a fungus and it says right on it for breeding. And it just keeps your betta from getting anything.....

Anyway Thanks All 40 something people that Viewed Great Work..

HERE IS THAT BETTA REVIVE SO EVERYONE CAN SEE WHA THERE LOOKING FOR..........

Old 08-03-2010, 01:57 PM   #3 
Adastra

It's a pity about the male you got--has he been eating well? It's possible that he might have sustained some ammonia poisoning during shipping and that's why he perked up with the methylene blue.

Personally, I don't think it's a great idea to constantly keep methylene blue in your tanks. This runs the risk of creating more resistant strains of parasites and bacteria and also puts unnecessary strain on the fish's vital organs. Methylene blue, just like malachite green is mildly toxic, after all. It is a great first response treatment for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate poisoning and it's a good preventative for fish with weak immune systems--but just like salt, it's my opinion that it shouldn't be used unless there is a need for it. Give yourself some credit, you're a good, responsible fishkeeper--you're fully capable of keeping your fish healthy without resorting to chemicals. :) If you wanted to hatch your eggs without the male present, it might be a good idea to add a small amount of MB, but otherwise, I would just let the male do his job.

Also, I don't think you should take it personally that no one responded to your post earlier--when you posted it was about 7:30AM my time, lol. Not typically when I browse forums. :) Consider also that it's better to not respond at all than to give bad advice, from your description, honestly it could be just about anything that's afflicting your fish since all we have to go on are the behavioral changes you described. People who are less experienced and who have never gotten a fish in the mail probably just don't know what to tell you.

Last edited by Adastra; 08-03-2010 at 02:06 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

After talking with a breeder she said to keep a tank or tub thing filled with methylene blue and soak fish nets, decor anything I want clean. So I cant pass nothing on, whatever that other fish had.

She said the number 1 reason people loose fry is to velvet/fungus and a lot of good breeders use methylene blue in there breeding tanks. This helps get more fry, This is why its so important to leave the dad in untill there free swimming because he trys to keep the fungus off them by moving them around all the time. Using the blue will give a lot more fry living. She said you see all these fry at first, then a month later theres only 20, its because of velvet/ fungus it kills them off.

The next thing she said methylene blue is good for is putting it in the betta water that you ship bettas in when you bag them. Then like the fish im having a problem with would of never got sick, he would of had a better chance I shouldn't say never.
Or she said put a small piece of IAL in the bag when shipping and it helps a lot..

I was just saying 40 people and nobody on here know's anything to say, she told me just take quick cure or betta revive and put him in it for 3 - 7 days see what happens its not going to hurt to try, but at least she said something. Im not going to kill my fish anyone's idea's would of hep, or gave me that little extra insurance to dose with quick cure..
Old 08-03-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 
Adastra

MB definitely has its uses--I use it mostly on fish that I've just brought home--especially if they're a bit droopy. :) I use this product, though: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...22&pcatid=4822
this is straight up methylene blue, so you don't have to worry that it contains a lot of salt or metals or anything like that, and it will treat more water than the betta revive. Another great way to get a lot of the stuff is from here: http://www.nationalfishpharm.com/products2.html This place has a lot of hard-to-find medications in industrial sizes. If you want to use methylene blue for net dips and whatnot, it might be more cost effective to get a bigger container of it like you would find there. I've been waiting for an excuse to make an order from that site for a long time so that I can get some Finquel and some Sulfa 4 TMP powder, lol. The Parinox also looks mildly interesting.

Quick Cure is described as being malachite green and formalin--I use malachite green only for external parasites like ich, velvet, costia, chilodonella, that kind of thing, and the formalin is there to help prevent secondary infections. If the fish is really weak or sensitive and you're not 100% sure that the problem is an external parasite it might be better to go with methylene blue since it is less harsh than malachite green. I am of the opinion though, that if your fish does have a nasty parasite infestation, malachite green will totally knock it out--it's definitely the most effective treatment for it that I have seen, but as I said, it is more toxic and carcinogenic, so it should be used more sparingly, and definitely never use it on fish eggs.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:25 PM   #6 
FloridaBettas239

I use prue methylene blue that has been watered down to dip my net's in and soak them in. A lot of breeders no and my friends pet store where I ordered the methylene blue say you water it down a lot of course in the breeding tank just helps so the fry dont get velvet or a fungus and die. I have had it happen so many time, 3 days after the fry hatch theres over 100's then a month later there's 20 left. Then the breeder told me add a small drip of methylene blue. She said velvet is the #1 cause of fry death... I am talking about victoria stark at bettysplendens.com and al at greatwhitebettas.com. They had me give the fish tetracyclin for 5 day's and now the fish is acting good and eatting good. But he is rubbing up against the glass now so they had me give him fresh aged water for a day 24 hours and then, they had me add quick cure. which I could of figured that out by him glass surfing. But it was the 5 day ago when he was acting half dead and not doing anything. So he got antibiotics and now quick cure he will be good to go, he already is acting like a mean betta...
The betta revive I used on a 3 year old betta in a filtered 1.5 gallon tank, he started moving slow and getting fin rot. I added betta revive and by the next day he was showing off and flaring at me lol... that stuff is pretty good, I used it while I am waiting on my new methylene blue bottle..
Old 08-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #7 
JaspersANGEL

if a betta refuses to flair .. is he sick?

i have a bit of the same problem with a depressed betta, my charlie refuses to flare .. when flaring was his favorite game..
ever since his buddy jasper died he's been acting a bit down, he's normal but u can tell something is off with him.

he flared at the new guy when i put the new guy in jasper's old tank, but after that .. nada.
i tried letting him see his neighboor, giving him that floating exercise miror .. wich he just pushed out of his way, and he stares at jet like he's the mental fish in the house.

i think he mises jas a bit
but im worried is that even possible?

so if i give him that betta revive it will help him get over what's bothering him?
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote