Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2010, 12:47 AM   #1 
Mardoqueo

New Betta Owner... He's not eating or... anythign else

OK so i took over my grandpa's betta that my mom got him on fathers day, because they couldn't keep the cats out of the tank. the Waters was kinda nasty, 3 gal tank, and i scrubbed it real good with hot water.

So i put him in his tank seemed pretty happy, i played with him a bit put a mirror up on the side and he got all puffy, then he chased my finger for a bit.

this morning he wouldn't eat, but played with the mirror

i got home from work... and the waters a bit cloudy white hes chilling on the little LED light at the top of the tank. Still wont eat and don't care about the mirror... he just swam up to it and was like "what ever" went back to the little light.

I dont have a heater. didnt know i needed one, I've had lots of friends with Bettas none of them had heaters. Wont be able to get one until the weekend. Im kinda baffled about the light its a LED light at the top, just under the water line. he just chills right next to it. Should i turn the light off?

Any other ideas/ thought would be appreciated
Mardoqueo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:02 AM   #2 
Alex09

Does the tank have a thermometer so you can give us a temp? I dont think you should turn the light off. It sounds like he's cold and the light is his only source of warmth. I would advise you to buy a small heater ASAP. Make sure to get one thats not too strong as your tank is only 3 gallons.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:05 AM   #3 
Mardoqueo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09 View Post
Does the tank have a thermometer so you can give us a temp? I dont think you should turn the light off. It sounds like he's cold and the light is his only source of warmth. I would advise you to buy a small heater ASAP. Make sure to get one thats not too strong as your tank is only 3 gallons.
actually i turned the light off and hes all active again... it was on ever since i got him home. I thought i saw some were it said they need light 24/7

Still going to get a heater for him. It does make sense to keep his water warm, its summer time now, but in the winter i like it cold so ill need a heater, might as well get it now.

Thank for getting back so quickly.
Old 08-10-2010, 02:16 AM   #4 
Mardoqueo

not meaning to double post, but a thought accrued to me. what are bettas sleep cycles? i get up early 545 am dont get home until 9pm mon/wed or 730pm maybe im just waking him up and hes grumpy or something -.-
Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 AM   #5 
kuklachica

They don't need light 24/7. They can actually live without a light. I would turn it off for a few days. They can get stressed out with moves, changes, etc. and it just sounds like he is stressed out. Leaving the light off will help lower his stress. When bringing a new betta home they sometimes won't eat for a few days, even over a week. Even though he is not a new betta, he has been through a lot of changes and may be too stressed to eat. And he may be happier with a heater because it provides a constant temp.
kuklachica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #6 
Mardoqueo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuklachica View Post
They don't need light 24/7. They can actually live without a light. I would turn it off for a few days. They can get stressed out with moves, changes, etc. and it just sounds like he is stressed out. Leaving the light off will help lower his stress. When bringing a new betta home they sometimes won't eat for a few days, even over a week. Even though he is not a new betta, he has been through a lot of changes and may be too stressed to eat. And he may be happier with a heater because it provides a constant temp.

yeah i think it was the light he ate this morning and was playful, swimming all over the tank

Thanks Guys!