Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-10-2010, 06:54 PM   #1 
BerkB33

Divided Tanks...Pros & Cons?

Was wondering what some of the posters here thought of their divided tanks. I like somethings about my 10 gallon divided tank...but there also maybe a problem with them. I'm learning that a split tank may cause stress for the fish. Being able to "see" the other bettas in the tank may cause repeated flaring and stress...thereby causing other maladies. How's everybody else doing with their divided tanks? What, if any, problems are you experiencing? What do you enjoy about them? Have you had disease spread with a divided tank?
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #2 
Drift

I love my 10 gallon divided honestly. :) I haven't had any problems so far. *knocks on wood* However my boys aren't as aggressive as some males. They're enjoying their densely planted tank with hide aways and floating logs.
I'm sure some cons will come along as I've only had it up and running for a week now.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 10:21 PM   #3 
Dead Sunlight

Yeah, bout a month ago, I set up my first divided, it was rather interesting...

Yeah, they flare non-stop, they get stressed more easily, and diesease get spread more easily. but I find that they get used to each other.

What I like about dividers though is that when u cant afford another tank, dividers can be made to be those imagenary tanks, and they're cheap!

Also, for a newbie like me, it's just kewl to see 2 or more males in the same tank lol.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #4 
FloridaBettas239

I dont really care for them. It wasn't the fish flaring at each other, because after the end of the day they had a pecking order and wouldn't mess with each other anymore. The thing that made me take mine apart and not like them was because the part that the filter was on. Made the fish stress and threw him around. The other divided area'a would get a film on the top layer of the water. So then I put a sponge filter at each end and it helped.
But still was not the best, So this is when I started building a betta drip system.
And I found these 1.5 gallon with lid's for 1 dollar each. So even while the bettas are not in the drip system yet, The 1.5 container's are awesome and cheap...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #5 
BerkB33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBettas239 View Post
I dont really care for them. It wasn't the fish flaring at each other, because after the end of the day they had a pecking order and wouldn't mess with each other anymore. The thing that made me take mine apart and not like them was because the part that the filter was on. Made the fish stress and threw him around. The other divided area'a would get a film on the top layer of the water. So then I put a sponge filter at each end and it helped.
But still was not the best, So this is when I started building a betta drip system.
And I found these 1.5 gallon with lid's for 1 dollar each. So even while the bettas are not in the drip system yet, The 1.5 container's are awesome and cheap...
I've developed either a bad case of fin rot or they're biting themselves from the stress of being in a divided tank. Still trying to determine which. If anyone can help me determine which it is... I have pictures on my profile, in an album entitled "fin rot." Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

The filter I've used is just an under gravel filter with floss and charcoal in the discharge. The floss and charcoal slow down the current as well as provide the added filtration. That's one of the things I liked about this tank. LOL.

Last edited by BerkB33; 08-13-2010 at 06:42 PM.
BerkB33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:43 PM   #6 
Dead Sunlight

ya, one of the males has started tail-biting, arg.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #7 
Dead Sunlight

ur bettas are tail biting. notice that there is no crusty greyish black fin edging.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:33 PM   #8 
Sarada

I just divided one this morning so we will wait and see. The girl jumped over with ease this morning so I made adjustments to the water level :P
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:20 PM   #9 
Lion Mom

Personally, I don't care for them. I used to have a 20 gal. tank divided three ways and a 10 gal. tank divided in two. It has been my experience over the years that the males in divided tanks seem to have shorter life spans than those kept in individual tanks. I believe that is due to the stress of constantly living in such close proximity to another male.

I find it interesting that so many say not to show a betta a mirror for more than 5 minutes at a time so they don't get stressed out, yet will put them in divided tanks where they are subjected to that stress 24/7. Shrug.

There is also the matter of divider failure. Happened to me once and it was not a pretty sight!

And, of course, there is the disease issue - one gets something, they all have it. :(

In any event, those are my feelings on the subject.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:40 PM   #10 
FloridaBettas239

I find once divided, the fish flare at each other every now and then just for 1 day or 2... Then they don't even care for each other it actually stimulate's them and let's them strech there fin's every now and then when they do look at each other... And streching and stimulating is all part of keeping good halfmoon's.. I have never seen or heard of tail biting or short life span over seeing another betta, Even when you do divide them it is not like the surface the divider flaring the whole time...
FloridaBettas239 is offline   Reply With Quote