Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2010, 07:24 PM   #1 
XSprinkleFaceX

HELPP! Tail Biter?! [Pictures Included]

Finn had a tattered tail last week so I cleaned his tank and added AS and all. I thought maybe it was because of the filter, so I baffled it. All my plants are silk, there's NOTHING in the tank that can rip his fins now, and when I got home today they were once again tattered. It looks like a flag that has been in the wind for a long time. I'm wondering if this is tailbiting?
Also, he's been really agressive lately could this be what they call "blowing out" the tail?

PS. Not sure if the pictures are clear enough. He LOVES taking pictures to show off his fins...unless it's when I want to take a picture...he runs (well swims)...lol

XSprinkleFaceX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:34 PM   #2 
Phoxly

Weird... test your silk plants on panty hose, but honestly maybe its just growth? Maybe his tail is growing... but seems very weird... what is your substrate? Is the base of your silk plants FULLY submerged cause fake roots on those things are sharp. :( good luck
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 PM   #3 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoxly View Post
Weird... test your silk plants on panty hose, but honestly maybe its just growth? Maybe his tail is growing... but seems very weird... what is your substrate? Is the base of your silk plants FULLY submerged cause fake roots on those things are sharp. :( good luck

My substrate is gravel but it's very smooth. Plus he doesn't hang around the bottom. He usually sleeps in the leaves and on the branches of the plants or in his cave. The plants roots are fully submerged. Its liek a little rock thing that holds the plant down...it's not even roots. It's not tail rot because he's not acting sick or anything and the tips are black or falling, they're just ripped.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

That looks like tail biting to me. How big is his tank? How long do you leave the lights on? What is your water change schedule like?

Sometimes bettas will bite out of boredom, sometimes out of stress, and sometimes they just bite for no reason (this is why generally people don't breed tail biters).
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #5 
XSprinkleFaceX

His tank is a 5G. I leave the lights on in the day (usually turn them on at 10 or 12) and turn them off at night (around 9-10). I change 50% of the water every week.
It's so random...he was so good until now. I re-arange his plants every week when I clean his tank so I don't know what I should do.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:30 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Start by keeping the lights off to see if he stops biting. If he's biting because of stress than a dark environment will help calm him. If he continues to bite try putting toys like ping pong balls and new decorations/plants in his tank and change them around at every water change so he can explore something new. If he still continues to bite then... welcome to the club.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:36 PM   #7 
XSprinkleFaceX

LOL! Ok thanks for the warm welcome. I'll start by turning off the lights. This started when he started to become really agressive which is usually after he builds his bubble nest. He's been seriously ATTACKING his food, flaring and biting my finger and he's been so poofy lately lol it's cute.

What will the ping pong balls do?
Old 08-13-2010, 08:58 PM   #8 
1fish2fish

Some bettas will play with them and push them around the tank with their noses, it gives them something to look at instead of biting their tails.
Old 08-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #9 
XSprinkleFaceX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Some bettas will play with them and push them around the tank with their noses, it gives them something to look at instead of biting their tails.
Oh! cool. I'll have to drop by the dollar store than and get some... Thanks alot. I'll update on what happens :)
Old 08-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #10 
1fish2fish

No problem :) I know how much it sucks to get a tail biter. I've developed a soft spot for them. I have 3 biters right now :D