Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #1 
DSykes

Question New fish

My 4 year old received a Betta fish for her birthday from a friend. We were surprised she got a pet with no advanced warning. I'm trying to do everything right, and was interested in the type of plant you can put in their tank to help keep them healthy. "Twinkle" is just in a bowl, no filter or heater. We clean the water once a week, and so far have managed to not put her fish into shock. We got Twinkle on July 10th, and I hope to have him a long time!!! Please help with advise on how to keep Twinkle happy in his fishy bowl. My daughter will appreciate the effort!
DSykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

How big is his bowl? Bettas need tanks that are at least 2 gallons. They are also tropical fish and need to be in temps around 78-80*F. A tank under 5 gallons is going to need water changes 2-3 times a week (depending on the size).

You can use silk or plastic plants. Silk are better because they won't rip his fins. If you get plastic plants take a piece of nylon pantyhose and rub it all over the plant, if the pantyhose snags then the betta's fins will snag too.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote