Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #1 
Drift

Bubbles in tank with no betta?

I asked this on a different place and didn't get a single answer, so maybe here I'll get an answer.

I set up my 10 gallon tank. Rinsed gravel, *took me an hour*, rinsed large rock and scrubbed with a brush, checked with vinegar to be ok - no fizzing, tied my Anubias to it with some thread. Filled the tank up with dechlorinated water (used prime), planted my Giant Temple's in, place rock w/ plant, put decor in, rinsed filter and heater, put them in and turned everything on. Added API's iron plant supplement.

Now I have a whole bunch of bubbles hanging out at the top by the filter of my tank and all my plants are dying.
Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #2 
Phoxly

Well the bubbles are probably not connected to your plants dying, thats probably poor water conditions, no co2, your lighting, or something else. But the bubbles, when you touch them are they slimey? It could be soap, did you rinse the vinegar off? Maybe you used too much iron leaf stuff?
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 PM   #3 
vaygirl

How long are you leaving your light on?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #4 
Drift

My two 10 gallons are almost identical to each other. I have 15 watt, 6500k Coral Life Nutrigrow light bulbs. The lights are on between 10-12 hours. It's been kinda 10 because I've been sick the past couple days. Usually 10 am to 10pm. *We have blackout curtains, so no natural light. Blah.* The water temperature is the same 80 degrees steady in both tanks. Same type of filter on the same flow rate. It hasn't been seen up for more than a week yet, the water is fine. Directions for APIs leaf zone said 5ml per 10 gallons, but I did 4 mls.
Everything in that tank has been rinsed very thoroughly.

Should I tear it all down re-rinse everything, not add anything but dechlorinator and see how it goes?
It might not be enough light for the plants. The Willow leaf Hygro is growing awesome in my split 10 gallon, I have new shoots on them already. The Giant Temple's are Hyrgo's too and figured they would be fine, but they're taking a crap on me.

The bubbles are very thick, I can scoop them out with my hand. Not slimy though. Kinda like sea foam consistency.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:23 PM   #5 
vaygirl

I mean, a lot of times plants have die-off when you first put them in. It's pretty normal. They come back. I'd just leave be and keep trimming the dead bits and keeping an eye on them. I have that very same light. Make sure the anubias is in a corner or under another plant and not directly under the light.

You really only really need 8-10 hours of light a day. Any more then that and you might see a lot of algae growth. I turn my tank lights on at 10am, off from 2-4pm and on again from 4-8pm. I had a lot of green algae in my tanks.

I don't know about the bubbles. Maybe something leeching from the dying plants? It sounds more natural then chemical if it's foamy like that. Maybe someone else has an idea.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #6 
Drift

The Anubias doesn't look half that bad. It's roots are shooting out across that rock.
I went in to snip off some more of the dead leaves with my tank only scissors and noticed my snails playing upside down Jesus. O.o So by the foamy bubbles there ended up being a thick slimey coating that my snails are having a field day with.

I never realized how much bettas aid in snail population control as that tank is full of them!
Old 08-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #7 
vaygirl

They breed like crazy. I have pond snails out the whazoo!. At any moment I can look over and see snails gettin' busy. Disturbing. :)

I hope your plant comes back!
Old 08-14-2010, 02:28 PM   #8 
Welsh

I always have bubbles in my 12 gallon, I find that if I don't attach the airline tube that came with the filter to the little nozzle then there are always bubbles on the surface, also I find this happens if the filter is blocked with plant debris, etc. that's the only thing I can think of though sorry, I know some people get bubbles in their tank after adding water conditioner.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #9 
Drift

I honestly might pull it all apart and re-rinse everything. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Woo, a task for Monday. Might help in aiding of snail elimination too.