Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #1 
DragonBettas

How do I get the male and female to get along??

Ok I have a Dragon Plakat/Delta Tail Male and a female Delta/Plakat that Im trying to breed... Problem is the male is so agressive that when i try to introduce them he attacks her... She goes from ready to mate(vertical stripes) to stress ( horizontal). Im just wondering how do i get the male to get along with her..

Male looks almost identical to this coloring and fish...

Last edited by DragonBettas; 08-14-2010 at 10:43 PM.
DragonBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:54 PM   #2 
Dead Sunlight

Some chasing and biting is normal, (After all, they are "Fighting fish".) but if the males is literally trying to kill the female, then you should remove him. After the introduction, I would monitor the spawning tank for roughly 1 or 2 hours to make sure no real damage is being done.
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #3 
DragonBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Sunlight View Post
Some chasing and biting is normal, (After all, they are "Fighting fish".) but if the males is literally trying to kill the female, then you should remove him. After the introduction, I would monitor the spawning tank for roughly 1 or 2 hours to make sure no real damage is being done.

Do the bitng and chasing/flaring cause any stress for the female?
Old 08-14-2010, 11:12 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

How long have you conditioned the pair?

Plakats are notorious for being hard to breed because they tend to be more aggressive than long finned bettas. Also since the male doesn't have long fins to lug around its harder for the female to escape like she would if being paired with a long fin.

Put the female in a breeder trap or glass enclosure and let the pair see each other for a few days then release her.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:19 PM   #5 
DragonBettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
How long have you conditioned the pair?

Plakats are notorious for being hard to breed because they tend to be more aggressive than long finned bettas. Also since the male doesn't have long fins to lug around its harder for the female to escape like she would if being paired with a long fin.

Put the female in a breeder trap or glass enclosure and let the pair see each other for a few days then release her.

Should I let the male loose in the tank and have the female in the enclosure? Because once i let him loose he goes right to her where ever i got her placed and starts flaring and rying to get at her, which Im worried it might stress her out.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:24 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

Yes, let him loose. He will flare at her at first and she may get stress stripes but if they are properly conditioned than eventually he'll start making his nest and she'll become less stressed.

Letting him see her but not have access to her will desensitize him so he won't be as aggressive. Some people even condition the pair and allow them to see each other during this process so they are less aggressive when introduced.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

I add some Nutrafin Betta Max (contains almond leaf extract) in my water and it calms them down and gets them to breed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:41 PM   #8 
LoveSGSE

Same situation here, the male has a nest, and now I release the female. No damage done or now, so I'm thinking that I'll leave them for 3 days. Observe closely though
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #9 
DragonBettas

Alright so the male was destroying the female. He would lure her in the nest, acts like he's gonna breed then attack her, pin her on the bottom and attack her more. her fins are all bitten off, and her head and scales are scar up. I took the female out, she was stressed, and am thinking he just doesn't like her?
Old 08-22-2010, 08:31 PM   #10 
Bloodeath

what i would do, get a divider if your using a 10gallon, and just place one on either side and let them look at each other, but make sure to include a cave or plants or something for the female to run to if she doesnt constantly wanna be hawk eyed by your male.

If your using a 5g or smaller, although i think for breeding you should really invest in a 10g, you can still use a 10g divider, if you cut it to fit, or bend it and clip it in.
if your forced to do this, chances are you wont be able to get the divider clear in the center, but thats ok, my advice is to give the female the bigger side, more room to hide and ignore the male, so your not Literally forcing them to stare at each other 100% of the time. let them be like this for ATLEAST a week, or if your like me and your breeding tank is right next to your bed and you watch it for about 75% of your day, every day.... you'll be able to tell from many signs that the female is not only physicially ready for the male (Meaning stripes, and a bloated tummy full of eggs) But, conditioned enough to where their not always just flaring at each other, but kind of dancing for each other, and displaying a less violent attitude... but i spend too much time looking at my fish, not everyone is so lucky. lol

Last edited by Bloodeath; 08-22-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote