Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 PM   #1 
CjRager89

New Betta Buddies

I want to eventually add some sort of buddies for my betta, and I figured I would test it early before he gets too territorial. So I took two lingering female guppies from my 20g, put them into the container I bought the betta in, and submerged it into the betta tank. At first he didnt even notice, but eventually he did. He just swam over, did a few laps around the container, flared a little, then calmly swam back over to his side of the tank. They are all still in the tank (guppies still in container just for safety) but no signs of aggresion what so ever. Looks like I might actually be able to put a few tank mates in with this fella. Any Ideas?? I might try my hand at breeding as well??

Guppy Test!!!!
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjRager89 View Post
I want to eventually add some sort of buddies for my betta, and I figured I would test it early before he gets too territorial. So I took two lingering female guppies from my 20g, put them into the container I bought the betta in, and submerged it into the betta tank. At first he didnt even notice, but eventually he did. He just swam over, did a few laps around the container, flared a little, then calmly swam back over to his side of the tank. They are all still in the tank (guppies still in container just for safety) but no signs of aggresion what so ever. Looks like I might actually be able to put a few tank mates in with this fella. Any Ideas?? I might try my hand at breeding as well??

Guppy Test!!!!

Any Fry may become a snack for your Betta.

What size tank is he in?
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 08:43 AM   #3 
CjRager89

they are in a 10g. Theyre not fry...not anymore, they were feeder guppies when I had my turtle, but when I let him go (dont worry he was a painted tutrle and are common where i live) these two were hiding under the plants. kept them and they have grown maturaty. fedder guppies seem pretty plane...lol
Old 08-13-2010, 02:44 PM   #4 
karlhague

Quote:
they are in a 10g. Theyre not fry...not anymore, they were feeder guppies when I had my turtle, but when I let him go (dont worry he was a painted tutrle and are common where i live) these two were hiding under the plants. kept them and they have grown maturaty. fedder guppies seem pretty plane...lol

They *SHOULD* be okay with him, Just be prepared to take them out if he starts on them..

Make sure theirs plenty of cover (plants) and places for them to hide
Old 08-13-2010, 05:50 PM   #5 
Dead Sunlight

Yes, i agree with karlhague, just make sure they can get away, or else they might turn into a tasty snack...
Dead Sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #6 
CjRager89

let them roam around freely in the tank a bit today. everything went just swimingly
Old 08-15-2010, 05:24 AM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
let them roam around freely in the tank a bit today. everything went just swimingly
Good, Keep us informed please mate.

Would be good to hear that he has NOT eaten them or harassed them LOL
Old 08-15-2010, 10:17 AM   #8 
CjRager89

So far so good, they have been swimming around together for about a day now. I think it helps that the guppies are laid back as well and not zipping around all over the tank.