Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #1 
bettablaze

Unhappy What is a good medicine for ick?

What is a good medicine for velvet? My betta fish is sick

Last edited by bettablaze; 08-15-2010 at 10:44 AM.
bettablaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #2 
Sarada

Do you have a heater?
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #3 
bettablaze

Sorry i got confused it was velvet sorry!!!!!!!!!!!! but, i don't have a heater.
Old 08-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #4 
1fish2fish

Your going to need to get a heater first off. Its almost impossible to treat velvet (or ich for that matter) without a heater.

Can you answer some questions for us so we can help you better ?

How big is your tank?
Do you have a filter?
How often do you do water changes?
How long ago did the fish develop velvet?
What is the fish's behavior like (is he eating? lethargic? etc)?

I've had good success with Quick Cure. Its a medication that can be bought at Walmart cheaply but it works well. It's dosed by the gallon so its easier to give doses than some of the other medications.

The main thing with Velvet is to raise the temperature of the tank so that the life cycle of the velvet speeds up. It is also important to keep the tank completely dark because I believe Velvet needs light to live (some one will correct me I hope). Doing this in conjunction with treating with a medication should heal your fish.

Remember with any medication use it for 5-7 days after you no longer see the Velvet to ensure that it is completely dead.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:00 AM   #5 
bettablaze

I have no heater, I do have a filter, 1 gallon (I'm to change it when I get more money), I change the water each week, I noticed he got velvet 3 days ago when he got lethargic and he sits at the bottom of his tank.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:07 AM   #6 
1fish2fish

Your going to need to pick up a heater unless you keep your house at 86*F. I would suggest getting a 25watt adjustable heater so you can set it to the temperature you need. Most preset heaters will not get high enough.

If the heater is too big to fit in your tank you can get a cheap plastic bin from the dollar store or wal-mart and use it as you "hospital tank". Heat it to 86*F and keep it really dark (maybe keep a towel over it). Change the water every day with fresh (dechlorinated) water. Clean water will help perk him up and it will remove the velvet from the tank as it dies.

Start doing 100% changes every single day. I think the reason your fish got velvet is because he wasn't getting enough water changes. A 1 gallon should get 3-4 water changes a week (roughly every other day).

If you get the medication (or any medication for that matter) your going to want to turn your filter off and take out the carbon cartridge. I'm not exactly sure why but all the medications recommend doing this.

Hopefully Adastra or OFL will chime in. I've only dealt with Velvet once but I had success with this method.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote