Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-13-2010, 11:04 PM   #1 
LoveSGSE

Missing ventrals :(

I just got a fancy white male from a breeder. He's not Eating freeze dried bloodworms so I'll get him frozen ones later. But the thing is, he has no ventral fins. I'm intending to breed him, would it be genetic?
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:29 AM   #2 
Welsh

I have noticed this on 2 of my girls, when I got them about 3 weeks ago they just had tiny little stumps which haven't grown so I think it could be genetic.
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:43 AM   #3 
peaches3221

this is from bettatalk: "Ventral defects may include: uneven length, a ventral that curls or that is bent, or even lack of ventrals altogether. It is quite common for bettas to not have perfect ventrals, especially as they mature and the ventrals grow longer. I wouldn’t worry about such defects, because they are not genetically transmissible. Meaning that even if your betta has no ventrals at all (which would be your worst case scenario), it will produce normal bettas with ventrals. Many have attempted to start a strain of bettas that would have no ventrals, breeding selectively bettas with such trait, but couldn’t produce offspring of the likes. So as you see, ventrals defects are harmless."
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #4 
LoveSGSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches3221 View Post
this is from bettatalk: "Ventral defects may include: uneven length, a ventral that curls or that is bent, or even lack of ventrals altogether. It is quite common for bettas to not have perfect ventrals, especially as they mature and the ventrals grow longer. I wouldn’t worry about such defects, because they are not genetically transmissible. Meaning that even if your betta has no ventrals at all (which would be your worst case scenario), it will produce normal bettas with ventrals. Many have attempted to start a strain of bettas that would have no ventrals, breeding selectively bettas with such trait, but couldn’t produce offspring of the likes. So as you see, ventrals defects are harmless."
Thanks alot. Guess theres nothing to worry about then
Old 08-14-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 
peaches3221

you're welcome!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #6 
1fish2fish

It can be harder for males with missing ventrals to guide their sperm towards the eggs as they are being released so don't be surprised if you see a small spawn from the male.

Its not genetic so there's no reason not to breed him (as long as he has no other genetic issues).

There are some breeders who swear feeding microworms causes missing ventrals. I feed my fry microworms so I'll be interested to see if my babies come up with no ventrals.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:49 AM   #7 
LoveSGSE

Ok. Keep me updated!
Old 08-15-2010, 11:53 AM   #8 
Sarada

I think it was Oldfishlady who said that microworms that have gone bad in a tank with fry might cause it.
Sarada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #9 
1fish2fish

If that is the case I won't be surprised if mine are missing ventrals, but I've heard from other breeders in my group that their fry have come up missing ventrals as well and these are not the kind of breeders who slouch on water changes. Either way its not any reason not to breed the fish, it just makes selling the fry who have missing ventrals harder.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:38 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

My understanding of the missing ventral fins and feeding microworms is that the bacteria from the decaying microworms is what can sometimes cause the ventral fins to not develop at some stages of development-especially in fry that are in bare bottom tanks that stay at the bottom feeding.

They recommend that you clean the bottom well, add some type of water movement to discourage the fry from hovering on the bottom too long.

Not all fry will have the missing ventral fins when fed microworms and it is just a theory not scientific fact in my understanding

But a good thing to know....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote