Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #11 
Lion Mom

I just don't get it. Bettas are normally little pigs.

Hopefully, OFL will see this & may be able to help you out.

Sorry I can't be more help!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:01 PM   #12 
Maryrox247

If there was already ph neutralizer in the water then you shouldnt have added more ph neutralizer. (dont worry everyone makes mistakes with the water at some point) I would do a nice 25-50% water change and refrain from using any chemicals for a while. (except for water dechlorinator of course)
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:03 PM   #13 
PeiMai

Ok here I go doing it now. I figured taking 50% of the water would take out some of the chems?! I guess not.

P.S. 25% w/ 1 drop of prime with 1/2 gal. water. Just to update

Last edited by PeiMai; 08-15-2010 at 08:11 PM.
PeiMai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #14 
PeiMai

This is day two with no food hoping that after tomorrow he starts eating I'll do another water change tomorrow(25%???) and hopefully he's ok
Old 08-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #15 
vaygirl

I agree with what everyone else said. Stay away from any PH adjusters. Just use Prime. Your fish will adjust to your ph. 25% tomorrow sounds fine. I hope he perks up! Good luck!
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:15 PM   #16 
Kokonoko

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiMai View Post
this was something I had done from the word go with him and this is the longest I've had one yet. I don't really get it he seems to be doing fine just doesn't want to eat for two days I dont get it.

He is doing the mouth open and close thing with the gills going? 25% water change maybe?
I still have not a clue about this, but what I've read is the reason you don't try to adjust the PH level of your water is because its nearly impossible to maintain that 'perfect' PH level. Afterall, the effects of the neutralize definently don't last to long at all, and then all the sudden you have a water source which is constantly changing its PH levels. I was pritty sure this is something to avoid as just because this can derive other illnesses?

I guess it could be compared to having the the oxygen levels in the air constantly changing. Where one moment the air was slightly rich in oxygen, the next its sudden slightly under-oxygenated. This would be very frustrating for humans to constantly adapt to.

Often cases when it comes to fishes water quality, the most pampered fish is that which has the most simple of gifts.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #17 
PeiMai

yeah and simple gifts are often the most difficult my water out of the tap is more towards 6. sumthing
Old 08-16-2010, 03:38 PM   #18 
PeiMai

Ok Day three no eating I've added a touch of aquarium salt to his water to try and ease stress a bit 25% water changes with prime conditioner one last night and one today. I've tried frozen brine shrimp, offered him a cooked shelled pea, and now freeze dried blood worms with no results. Nothing I seem to do works. Please help!
Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #19 
Kiara123

did you use dechlorinated water
Kiara123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #20 
Kokonoko

If its 6.6 - 7.0, I wouldn't worry. If its anything lower then that, then you might want to consult a doctor about your own health o.o You may be giving your betta to little credit, they are tough creatures and adjust only in the manner that the PH levels become thier 'normal' and anything outside of that then becomes uncomfortable. I think, and I'll do some more research on this to confirm strongly, that the addition multiple chemicals will be more stressful then anything else imaginable.

I'll look around for other possible theories on whats going on until we can find a solution. Although, one question is, the food... when you feed him and he rejects eating, do you remove the food swiftly, or does it sometimes fall to the bottom of the tank? If it does fall tot he bottom, are you -positive- hes not eating it fromt he gravel while you're not looking? There is no right or wrong response o.o Just need to know! =)

So, so far heres the current situation that we know:
-Hasn't eaten anything in 3 days
-Has no physical signs of illness that we know of (Picture would help confirm)
-Water levels are current 'in check', with the help of addition chemicals (Which may be stressing the fish)

PS: I was just called by my bro to go play pool, I want you to know that I -will- be looking this up and helping you as much as possible though! I'll only be gone a few hours.

Last edited by Kokonoko; 08-16-2010 at 04:52 PM.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote