betta fish
View Poll Results: Bowl or more?
Bowls are fine 2 5.00%
2.5 gallon minimum 29 72.50%
5+ gallons 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2014, 08:51 AM   #11 
Polkadot

I voted for 5+ gallon tanks.For me personally I keep my Veiltail boys in 30L tanks & my Plakat boy in a 50L tank and wouldn't keep them in anything smaller.
Polkadot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #12 
winterdock

I think it depends on the fish

My first was a very energetic female . I saw her in a large pet store community tank. She was chasing all of the other fish . At the time, I only had a 2.5 gallon tank and placed her in it . She seemed to be OK at first (I think she was happy to be away from the other fish) . But after a while, she started going a bit squirrely. Back and forth . I felt bad and purchased a ten gallon just for her . She resides there now and is extremely happy

Conversely, I purchased a shy little male who obviously lived his entire life in a cup. I placed him in a 2.5 gallon tank. Made sure he had the gentlest filter, the softest most flowing velvet plant reaching from the bottom to the water line and a consistent 82 degree F . He is now a friendly and relaxed little fish . Just lumbering along .But with enough room to still be a betta. Daily 15-20% water changes. He seems to enjoy them (Fresh water= new life and takes all of ten minutes) Gravel and some hollow logs work wonders too
I still keep an eye on him , but if it isn't broken , don't fix it . So far, all appears well

Last edited by winterdock; 05-10-2014 at 11:49 AM.
winterdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #13 
FishWhisperer

Yeah I think it depends seriously on the fish's personality but anything less than 1 gallon is bad.
FishWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM   #14 
Bailmint

I base it off of the fish's gender usually. I say male's 2.5g+ and females 1g+. I really hate bowls and agree that they are sad excuses for betta homes. I hate them with all my life and always will. They are not 'fine.'

I voted for 2.5g minimum.
Bailmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 AM   #15 
TealHoundogg

I've always used bowls for my fish. My late veil tail had a large vase he used to live in that was probably around 2 gallons but he was fine and built some big bubble nests. My current bettas have bowls that are around 1 1/2 gallons and 2 gallons. They like them and because the room they're in stays around 78 to 80 degrees, I never have to use a heater.

I do make sure their water is clean, especially before going out of town.

I have seen some large bowls including one at petco that was 5 gallons... price... $26 bucks! It wasn't nearly as nice as something you'd find in Michaels or Home Goods which is where I got mine.

When I used to see bettas in smaller vases with a bamboo plant in someone's office, I'm thinking 'How does this guy breathe?'
TealHoundogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #16 
averyecho

That really depends. Let's say the bowl is 2 or 3 gallons, and can be filtered and heated somehow. Then it's fine. But if it's one of those puny half gallon ones, bare of anything except the gravel, then it makes my blood boil. Especially when somebody posts a picture of their betta in that kind of bowl with the caption "look how happy he is in his bowl!"
averyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #17 
Sathori

At my work, we sell 2 gallon drum bowls, and I have one as well. The way that they are shaped, they have a flat back and front, with curved sides, which allows for a heater and the right filter to be applied. At work, we use the Tetra Whisper 3i, which easily suction cups to the side of the bowl, and a heater, to help fish who are not doing so well in their cups. We add plants and hides, and we use it also as a way to show customers how easy the set up is, and how much better it is than the 0.5gallon bowl they are looking at.
With frequent water changes, these fish do great in these 2 gallon bowls - happily swim and dance, eating like champs, and building bubble nests.
My 2 gallon bowl is currently empty, as I put its inhabitant into a divided 10 gallon to try to have a few tanks/bowls around the house as possible, but I keep it around in case I need a hospital tank, or if I find another betta that I really like and need a place to hold him until I figure where in the house he is going to go xD

The only reason I do not care for bowls is the fact that they are hard to do water changes with. The larger bowls are often heavy, especially when filled with water, and if you hands get wet, it's hard to hold onto the bowl.
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #18 
Blue7

I'm new to Bettas but have had tropical fish in a 20 gallon tank several years ago. So having that experience is helpful this time around. I chose a 3 gallon 360 degree (round) tank for my new Betta, Blue. And he LOVES it. I purchased a 3 gallon filter/air pump with a small filter, that I change about once a week to 10 days, and I change about 1/3rd or a little more of the water once a week. The water is crystal clear, and the pump, being a Tetra Whisper, is so quiet you cannot even hear it. I also have been feeding Blue Tetra Min tropical flakes because he would not eat pellets. It takes a tiny amount of the flakes. I take a couple of them and crush them between my fingers. He gets fed early morning, about 7:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and again about 3:30 p.m. I've had him for about a month, and in the last few days he is blowing bubbles and making a bubble nest so that's a good sign that he is loving his environment. So far, I have not put a heater in the tank. I may do so this fall when the winter approaches because it gets cold here in the Midwest.
Blue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #19 
KlutzyGal

I'm fine with either if they're big enough. I have Loki in a 1.5 gallon bowl, Pippin's in a 2.5 tank, and my other will be in a 2 gallon bowl as of tomorrow evening. All three are active and healthy.
KlutzyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:06 PM   #20 
FishWhisperer

Nice
FishWhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote