Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2010, 02:34 PM   #1 
Welsh

Another stocking question

So I have a 8 US gallon fish tank which I will be putting my new betta in when he arrives, is there anything else I can keep in there or is it just the usual, shrimp, snail answer lol
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #2 
Lil Red Betta

You can put in snails, ghost shrimp, platy, white cloud minnows, plecos, Cory cats, etc. Just make sure you have a heater and a filtration system.
Lil Red Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #3 
TheJadeBetta

Yep, the usual Snail and Shrimp answer. The tank is to small for Platies, Minnows, Plecos, and Cory Cats.
TheJadeBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #4 
Phoxly

The tank is not too small for 3-4 cory cats =/ I have a 10 gal with a betta, 3 cories, and 4 tetras, and it is very managable. (15-20% weekly). Cory cats are the most entertaining but you'll need to feed them shrimp pellets which are also a treat for the betta.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:10 AM   #5 
Maryrox247

IMO you may be able to get away with 1-2 dwarf platies. You could house about 3 guppies or a small school of neon tetras,harlequin rasbora tetras, or cardinal tetras. Cory cats are great too! I would stay away from plecos though as they need around 50 gallons or so believe me small tanks only stunt the growth and they will produce lots of waste.
Maryrox247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:53 AM   #6 
Welsh

Yup I know about the pleco, even the small ones are too big lol

I still haven't stocked it, just has my betta in there. I'm trying to find some ghost shrimp but would you believe none of the pets stores stock them, shocking lol.

If I can't find the shrimp then I've been thinking of maybe 3 guppies some have success with their bettas while others don't, so im still playing with the idea also I have heard that glolight tetras can live in 20litre tanks so I could get some of those and also there are pygmy corys which I have wanted for a while. Just got to decide with which one to go with now lol.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #7 
Phoxly

BIGGEST issue you will have with adding fish, is your betta may be territorial, in most cases people added the betta after they added the new fish. I recommend putting your betta in another container for a few hours before you add the fish, and leave him in there for about 12 hours minimum and let the new fish settle in, and essentially refresh your bettas mind so he won't be so territorial and eager to attack them or push them around.

Last edited by Phoxly; 08-17-2010 at 09:36 AM.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 09:42 AM   #8 
Welsh

Yeah I do this reguarly for my female sorority, these fish are so persistant with making life more complicated for us owners lol.