Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #1 
ap123

Question How do I clean the water? P.S. I'm new here!

Hi, I got a new betta fish and it came in a rather small and slim glass with gravel and a real plant. I felt bad for it living in there so I'm going to buy a new bigger bowl, even though the pet store guy said it would be fine living in that poverty filled vase. Also the pet store guy said to change a third of the water, using water conditioner, once a week. How do I change the water: a third taken out each week and a fresh, conditioned third put back with the old water? Do i just keep the fish in the old water while i take the third out? Please explain how to do this step by step; as you can see, I'm really confused, but I want this fish to live long. Thank you!
ap123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #2 
prettylittlefishy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ap123 View Post
Hi, I got a new betta fish and it came in a rather small and slim glass with gravel and a real plant. I felt bad for it living in there so I'm going to buy a new bigger bowl, even though the pet store guy said it would be fine living in that poverty filled vase. Also the pet store guy said to change a third of the water, using water conditioner, once a week. How do I change the water: a third taken out each week and a fresh, conditioned third put back with the old water? Do i just keep the fish in the old water while i take the third out? Please explain how to do this step by step; as you can see, I'm really confused, but I want this fish to live long. Thank you!
First of all, hi! It's ok to be confused.

Instead of a bowl, a 2 gallon + tank should be used.

It absolutely needs a lid! Bettas are determined jumpers.

A heater also would be nice, ideal temperature at 78-82 degrees.

If using a vase, then daily 100% water changes will be needed, as bettas can be "burned" by ammonia produced by their poo, which is why a bigger tank is not only ethical, but easier to maintain.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM   #3 
ap123

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylittlefishy View Post

If using a vase, then daily 100% water changes will be needed, as bettas can be "burned" by ammonia produced by their poo, which is why a bigger tank is not only ethical, but easier to maintain.
Thanks for replying But, I have to use a bowl, maybe a half gallon bowl, to put the fish in. I would like a step by step procedure on how to clean out the small glass it lives in now and transfer it to the new bowl. I really don't understand the 30% part; how should I change the water 30%?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #4 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettylittlefishy View Post

I agree there. Currently cycling a 8Gallon tank for a male betta. And some cory's
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

In a half gallon bowl unfiltered-needs at the very least 100% every other day water changes to maintain water quality for fish health and fins

I would use the cup he came in if you have it or any clean container large enough for him to be in while you make the water change.
Pour some of the old water in this cup and net the Betta and place in this cup and place a cover over the top..they are great jumpers....

Dump all the water out of his bowl and rinse well with warm water

Replace with like temp dechlorinated water

In the cup with the fish-dump half this water out carefully and add some of the new fresh water from his bowl over 5 minutes or so..then net him out and place in his clean bowl

*note-if you do this over the sink make sure and plug the drain hole...many Bettas have been lost and died this way....

You will need to do this every other day and remove any uneaten food after you feed him with a turkey baster or a piece of airline hose

Any time he is acting different-make a 100% water change to rule that out as the cause even if you just made one the day before

Monitor the water temp and keep it at 76-80F
A half gallon is really hard to heat unless you live in a warm region.

Always try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees from new and old water to prevent temp related problems and use dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish if you are on city water supply with water changes

Try not to over feed and this can be hard...especially when they greet you wagging their tail begging for food, remember their stomach is about the size of their eye.

Feed a good varied diet-small amount 2 times a day

Most of all enjoy your Betta....

If possible you may want to up-grade your bowl to at least 2g with a filter and heater...it will make water changes easier by decreasing them to 50% twice a week and easier to keep a stable water temp that tropical fish need in the 76-80F range to prevent health problems and a better environment for the Betta
Or even a 1g container with a 7.5w heater
You will find that he will be much happier and healthier

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 08-18-2010 at 12:36 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #6 
ap123

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
Welcome to the wonderful world of Betta keeping...

In a half gallon bowl unfiltered-needs at the very least 100% every other day water changes to maintain water quality for fish health and fins

I would use the cup he came in if you have it or any clean container large enough for him to be in while you make the water change.
Pour some of the old water in this cup and net the Betta and place in this cup and place a cover over the top..they are great jumpers....

Dump all the water out of his bowl and rinse well with warm water

Replace with like temp dechlorinated water

In the cup with the fish-dump half this water out carefully and add some of the new fresh water from his bowl over 5 minutes or so..then net him out and place in his clean bowl

*note-if you do this over the sink make sure and plug the drain hole...many Bettas have been lost and died this way....

You will need to do this every other day and remove any uneaten food after you feed him with a turkey baster or a piece of airline hose

Any time he is acting different-make a 100% water change to rule that out as the cause even if you just made one the day before

Monitor the water temp and keep it at 76-80F
A half gallon is really hard to heat unless you live in a warm region.

Always try and keep the water temp within a couple of degrees from new and old water to prevent temp related problems and use dechlorinator with any new water added to the fish if you are on city water supply with water changes

Try not to over feed and this can be hard...especially when they greet you wagging their tail begging for food, remember their stomach is about the size of their eye.

Feed a good varied diet-small amount 2 times a day

Most of all enjoy your Betta....

If possible you may want to up-grade your bowl to at least 2g with a filter and heater...it will make water changes easier by decreasing them to 50% twice a week and easier to keep a stable water temp that tropical fish need in the 76-80F range to prevent health problems and a better environment for the Betta
Or even a 1g container with a 7.5w heater
You will find that he will be much happier and healthier
Wow, thanks a bunch! I'm thinking of getting a small tank. This information was really helpful, but I have one more question: How long can a Betta go on in a dirty bowl/tank?
Old 08-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #7 
Oldfishlady

They may live awhile in dirty water but they suffer and soon the ammonia builds up and starts to burn their gill, body, fins and then the long term effect from the burns from the healing process once water quality is improved they can develop scare tissue and this can affect breathing, lower immune response and then the fins and tails start to rot from the breaks and soon the pretty tail is gone it can't swim well, stops eating.... the list goes on....so much easier to prevent than to treat or deal with a dead and dying fish......

Freshwater fish thrive in fresh water not just survive....and a thriving fish is a lot more enjoyable......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:18 AM   #8 
ap123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
They may live awhile in dirty water but they suffer and soon the ammonia builds up and starts to burn their gill, body, fins and then the long term effect from the burns from the healing process once water quality is improved they can develop scare tissue and this can affect breathing, lower immune response and then the fins and tails start to rot from the breaks and soon the pretty tail is gone it can't swim well, stops eating.... the list goes on....so much easier to prevent than to treat or deal with a dead and dying fish......

Freshwater fish thrive in fresh water not just survive....and a thriving fish is a lot more enjoyable......
Thanks for all your help. I used your tips and now my betta is living in a 5 gal tank with a light and low power filter, and since the temp seems too cold for him, I'm buying a heater later on also.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:05 PM   #9 
CrowntailTwitchy57

i read that you should only replace one cupful of water at a time, depending on tank size. if you replace it all at once, it can shock and kill said fish.
CrowntailTwitchy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #10 
Tisia

this thread is almost a year old, please check dates before you post
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote