Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-18-2010, 09:38 PM   #1 
Jdh

Need help with Planted aquarium and damaged fins...

Hi all,
I'm having some trouble with my planted aquarium, as well as my white Betta's fins.

First off- The plants in my planted aquarium don't seem to be growing (Even with Searchem doses daily) and there seems to be Algea growing on the rocks. Since there aren't any fish in it yet, I'm thinking of redoing the tank with fertilizer substrate. Would this be the best move?

Secondly, my White Betta's fins still seem to be "melting". I'm dosing the tank with Ammonia-Lock tomorrow, as well as preforming water changes daily. Is there anything else I can do/use to have his fins grow back? Will they?

Thanks,
-Josh
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #2 
prettylittlefishy

Use a tsp of aquarium salt for him per Gallon, I think.
prettylittlefishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #3 
MoePaac

What plants do you have? What substrate are you currently using? Heated tank? What size tank? What kind of light/watts are you using?

Fast growing plants such as Hornwort, or floaters will help compete with the algae.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:14 PM   #4 
Jdh

MeoPaac- 10 Gallon tank, not heated (but sufficent and steady temperature). I'm currently using natrual aquirium gravel, but it doesn't have any nutrients in it-- So it's basically pebbles. I'm not sure what the exact wattage is on my light fixture, but I know it's moderate to high according to Foster and Smith's guides.

I have Dwarf Hairgress, Anubias Nana, and Dwarf Baby Tears in the tank. I would be replacing the current substrate with Searchem Flourite Substrate.
-Josh
Jdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:27 AM   #5 
MoePaac

If I remember correctly, dwarf baby tears does not grow well without Co2 injections. I looked into this plant as well and from what I read it is a more difficult plant to grow. Not sure if your anubias is buried in the substrate, if it is, take it out and tie it to a rock or driftwood. It's roots should not be buried. I'm not familiar with dwarf hairgrass, but starting next wednesday, I'll be trying to grow some myself. I'm going to grow it in my smaller tank which has 2 wpg.

If you're still having algae problems, I would again look into maybe some hornwort. It grows quickly and because of that generally outcompetes algae for nutrients.

Also, how old is the tank? Is it still be established? The plants may just need a little time.
MoePaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:59 PM   #6 
Phoxly

Actually anubias can be in the substrate, but the green rhyzome (horizontal green base that the stems come out of) must be out of the substrate or it will rot. If you are using a 10g aquarium you ar probably stuck with 1.5 to 1.8 watts per gallon. But I heard in a shallow tank like a 10 gallon, its actually okay to have just 1.5 for most plants.

Last edited by Phoxly; 08-19-2010 at 03:06 PM.
Phoxly is offline   Reply With Quote