Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM   #21 
bettalover2033

haha you probably have a stubborn betta lol:)
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:26 AM   #22 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixierella View Post
I've seen the bubbles, it's just that they keep melding together after awhile instead of staying seperate like they start out and now it's all one big bubble. Sorry if I wasn't more clear.
IMO, this is water related. If you've tried the above suggestions and it still becomes one big bubble, try changing the water.

Quote:
The biggest problem other than the giant single bubble nest he had going was she wasn't too interested. I don't see how she wouldn't like him, he's gorgeous but still...maybe next time I try him.
First how big/how old are the breeders? If you're sure they are adequate sizes, you can try isolating the female in a dark place. This should give her more self esteem (?). After a while or after she has calmed down, try flaring her with a mirror or by showing another female. First just see if she would flare. Hours later (even better, the next day) flare her again. Repeat this twice/3 times a day for 2-3 days. Then float her in the breeding tank. If she swim dances with the male, then she is ready. Otherwise you'll have to isolate her longer.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:01 PM   #23 
Pixierella

Red face Spawning Tanks Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
IMO, this is water related. If you've tried the above suggestions and it still becomes one big bubble, try changing the water.

First how big/how old are the breeders? If you're sure they are adequate sizes, you can try isolating the female in a dark place. This should give her more self esteem (?). After a while or after she has calmed down, try flaring her with a mirror or by showing another female. First just see if she would flare. Hours later (even better, the next day) flare her again. Repeat this twice/3 times a day for 2-3 days. Then float her in the breeding tank. If she swim dances with the male, then she is ready. Otherwise you'll have to isolate her longer.

Good luck.
Thank you for this information, I'll try this next time I attempt this pair. I switched out and have a different pair now though, they're doing like they should (female displaying her vertical bars, male flaring and showing off for the female and blowing a bubble nest) like the pair in my bottom tank. I use net breeders so they can be up close and personal until they're ready to be released. I found they work much better than the jars I was using and the females don't freak out. I released the female in the bottom tank. I used a little different of a technique. When I was about to put her into the jar she flopped out of the net and into the tank, I watched them for a bit and they immediately started courting. I've been putting her in the net breeder when she starts running away from him. I put her in for a little while and watch them, I found that it encourages the male to blow more bubbles and it perks him up. If I think she's too tired I put her back in. I've been doing this for a couple days. Today I released her for good, her bars are more vivid when she's in with him. His bubble nest is ready and she wanted out to be around him so I released her and now I wait and see. I started doing this in the top tank also. The female is in the net breeder right now and the male is working on his bubble nest. I'll try to keep ya'll posted.
Pixierella is offline   Reply With Quote