Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #1 
Fish4Faith

Whisper filter not exactly whispering

Greetings fellow fish folk! I just bought a Betta for my 4-year old (actually the third Betta - the first two passed on thanks to the collective braintrust at PetSmart). Anyways, since then I found this site and decided to do it the right way. I bought a Marineland aquarium "package" that came with 3-gal. tank, a Whisper Micro Filter and a Medium Biobag filter. In addition, I bought a Marineland heater pre-set to 78 deg. and a temp. indicating strip.

I followed all the instructions that came with the equipment along with what I read here. All seemed fine for the first few days until I added some water to make up for evaporation (maybe 1/2"). I added a couple drops of conditioner to the water before I added it to the tank. As soon as I had finished the tank turned cloudy - not bad, but enough to notice. I added the water slowly so I'm pretty sure I didn't just stir things up. That cleared up in a couple days so I guess that wasn't a big deal.

Then today, the filter started making a little racket. It's not horrible by any stretch but I know things are louder in water than air and I don't want to stress the fish out. It's humming a bit and I can hear a faint rattle like something is loose in the filter housing. I read the manual and learned I can take it apart and clean it, but the thing is only 4 days old! Are these Whisper filters not all they're cracked up to be??
Fish4Faith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would unplug and take it apart and clean it, something could be in the impeller/housing like a piece of gravel or something...this can happen to new and old filters.

Also.....Welcome to the wonderful of Betta keeping.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote