Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 AM   #1 
BlueHaven

How to quarantine live plants

I have an amazon sword plant I got from petsmart today, but I want to quarantine it before I add it to my bettas home.
What are some safe ways to do this and for how long?
I heard of using salt, but I don't want to kill the plant.
Would aquarium salt work? I was thinking of putting the plant in a clean vase of really warm water and the aquarium salt to rid any parasites.
The plant is healthy looking and bright green, but it was with some other plants in the same water and their were snails.

I got the plant to put on the side of his tank because he stresses over his reflection in the corners and I had to take out the previous silk plant that covered the side because it had plastic on it. He likes big plants.
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #2 
1fish2fish

What I do is take the plant and dip it in a bucket that has 1 part bleach and 10 parts water. I dip it for 30 seconds and take it out and rinse it off in a bucket of clean water then I repeat about 2-3 more times. Then I rinse it again thoroughly in fresh clean water and inspect it thoroughly for any snails or snail eggs.

Unless the plant was collected in the wild there's not much need to QT it for any length of time. The bleach will kill any snails/eggs and any microorganisms should any be on there.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #3 
BlueHaven

Thank you :)
I am a little afraid of using bleach, but I will try and just rinse it really well.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

As long as you rinse very thoroughly you shouldn't have a problem. I've used bleach to disinfect plants and tanks and I've never had any fish get sick as a result.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #5 
BlueHaven

Cool!

Tags
bleach