Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #1 
Kokonoko

Riddle has torn his fin!

Grrr, so somehow my little Betta seems to have torn his Caudal Fin pritty roughly. I don't believe this is fin rot though due to its over-night appearence, correct me if I'm wrong to assume this though please! I also checked the coloring around the torn areas, and there -seems- to be no discoloration, except near a very small portion at the top, I was thinking that this might have been blood; its hardly noticable though.

So, going under the assumption that this is just tearing (Which would be the first case sinces hes been in the tank for 4 weeks now) how do I go about bringing his Caudal fin back to gold? Also, could this be biting??? It seems rather extensive, reaching from the top of the fin to the bottom.

What or what should I do!

Note: There seems to be no damage to any other fin, only the Caudal is torn.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #2 
Hermitpaws

if you have some what sharp objects in the tank id take them out to prevent further tearing.
Hermitpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 05:51 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

You also want to keep the water really clean with daily water changes, if you have a filter make 50% daily and without a filter make 50% daily and 100% every 2 days...this is for 2g and larger tank, smaller than 2g-100% daily if unfiltered for 10 days and then step up regular water changes for at least another month-if it looks to be getting worse after 4-5 days I would QT and start a salt treatment

Keeping the water clean is important to prevent secondary infection and to promote healing-also a good varied diet and added protein will help

Depending on the amount of damage-sometime the torn fins will not look the same as they once did-age, color, cause of damage and overall health can be factors as well in how it will look once healed.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:53 PM   #4 
Kokonoko

Thank you very much *bows* So to clarify, on my bettas tank, a 10g, I should be doing 50% water changes to prevent any kind of secondary infection from happening? And add small doses of salt (equal to the amount of new water exchange) till it starts healing?
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 09:10 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

In a 10g- after some daily 50% water changes, I would increase them to twice weekly if the fins are still not completely healed, if they get worse in 4-5 days after daily water changes I would QT him and do a salt treatment- I would not salt the 10g tank.
Often fresh water is all that is needed...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote