Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-22-2010, 01:21 PM   #1 
Bloodeath

Exclamation Dont EVER mail order from petco

Let me start from the beginning, we wanted to breed our CT Male, so we looking around in all of our local petstores, walmart, everything to find a female CT, with no luck. so we checked the internet, and instead of going to like aquabid and paying 15$ for a single fish, then a 30$ shipping on top of it, we thought it would be better to go to petco.com and buy a 5$ female CT (extra large even, is how it was worded LOL) so we did.

CT Female fish from petco.com= 5$.
Shipping for said fish(over night shipping cause its a live animal)= 30$
total: 35$ and some change. at the time, i thought it was well worth it

So the package arrives about 3 days later (because they had to process order and whatnot) well we recieved it at like 10am. open the box, and are disgusted to find 2 male CT's, one blue and one red. Great vibrant colors, awesome fin structure for a crowntail, amazing quality fish, BUT we recieved 2 MALES, instead of 1 FEMALE. so we went off and bought tanks for our unexpected new boys.

We get back home, set up our fish and all that, call petco, they apologize and say they'll refund our order, and itll arrive in 3 days (2 days for processing and 1 for shipping) 3 days later, we recieve NOTHING, not even so much as an email saying their going to replace our order. So we call again, get told the exact same thing from another petco employee (Which coincidentally they are all from india. (Typical right, a 1-800 number with people from a different country)

So we wait another 2-3 days, no email, no tracking number, no ANYTHING yet again. so we call again, they tell us it's been shipped, and it'll come in the mail the NEXT DAY.

the next day arrives, i blow off all my friends, play hookie, just waiting around my house for this fish.

needless to say, it never arrived. (This was on a wednesday)
So i was completely upset, and decided this was the last straw, so we called, get told the same thing, but this time instead of being passive about it, we asked to talk to his supervisor because we knew we were getting lied to, and just ignored.

So we get a hold of the supervisor after 10 minutes of being on hold, and tell him, if we dont recieve our fish by friday (Remeber its wednesday) We wanted our money back. he said, he would call his vendor and get back to us.

well we go off to have lunch, come back home to a message on our voicemail from petco, saying that it was impossible for them to get it to us by friday so they refunded us our money.

Well we check our paypal the next day, and we got our money back. and 2 free male CT bettas.
So i go to class, and at about 10am, i get a phone call from my mom saying that another box has arrived at the house and it has, get this, not just ONE female CT in it, but 2.

Needless to say, i rush home, and see 2 female CT's sitting side by side in their own little bags of Extremely blue water.

We were thrilled.

In a nutshell, after about 2-3 weeks of dealing with complete frustration we ended up with not just 1, not just 2, but 4 free betta's. 2 males and 2 females. Good deal i suppose, but really not reccomended if you want your fish in a timely matter.

Avoid
mail ordering from petco.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:43 PM   #2 
Jayy

After this story I'm surely not going order from Petco. I really don't need to anyway beacause Its right up the street. Atleast you got four FREE bettas.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #3 
Bloodeath

Yea. my nearest petco, is in the town next to us, about a 2 hour round trip, we ended up going to petco right after all this, to see about 30 female crowntails just sitting on the shelf.

Dont get me wrong though, petco has amazing fish. best fish ive ever seen in any local/non local stores.
they had hm's,vt's, king's,dt's, deltas, super deltas, ct's, like literally everything.

Just dont ever mail order from petco, its more than a headache. hehe.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #4 
artist4life

i do not like the way petco treats their bettas and other fish
artist4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 
Jayy

Quote:
Originally Posted by artist4life View Post
Yea, I know what you mean ,but not all Petcos are bad.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:43 PM   #6 
Bloodeath

Quote:
Its funny that you say that, because my LOCAL pet store, is sooo terrible with their bettas, i actually want to volunteer my time there, just to do water changes on those poor bettas in their cups, i hate seeing their water so murky and near yellow colored.

But i guess i just probably hit petco at the right time when i went, like the day of their shipment, because like i said, they had like 100 bettas, and every last one of them had crystal clear water, and looked extravagent, i was so dissapointed leaving the store with no fishies, but i was worried that the 1hr trip back to my house, was too much for the little guy.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:56 PM   #7 
Learn To Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodeath View Post
Its funny that you say that, because my LOCAL pet store, is sooo terrible with their bettas, i actually want to volunteer my time there, just to do water changes on those poor bettas in their cups, i hate seeing their water so murky and near yellow colored.

But i guess i just probably hit petco at the right time when i went, like the day of their shipment, because like i said, they had like 100 bettas, and every last one of them had crystal clear water, and looked extravagent, i was so dissapointed leaving the store with no fishies, but i was worried that the 1hr trip back to my house, was too much for the little guy.
I don't think a 1 hr trip would be too much-I bought a betta down in Wilmington, NC (I live in KY) and brought it home over a thousand miles and four days. I hope next time you go they have wonderful bettas again so you can bring one home :D

I thought about ordering online from Petco because I really wanted a HM but I like picking out my own fish. Maybe if I have the $30 for shipping sometime and feel brave I might try it...I can always get a refund if I need to I suppose, like you did. But maybe it isn't worth the hassle. (of course, if I ordered a HM female and got two HM males I wouldn't mind lol)

Anyway thanks for posting your experience!
Learn To Fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #8 
dukie1346

Wow, what a story. I like picking up my fish when I get a new betta, but hey through all of that struggle at least you got 4 bettas :)
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #9 
peaches3221

I'm glad you got them free after all that!
peaches3221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:55 PM   #10 
frogipoi

Never trust petco. Cool. You asked for 1 female and got 4 free bettas. :P Well that = more work..
frogipoi is offline   Reply With Quote