Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #11 
Kokonoko

Yea, its been said a few times now. Patiences. You entered the wrong game if you were looking for speed racing.
Kokonoko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 12:41 AM   #12 
LoveSGSE

I wasn't lookng for speed racing, I was worried that the female may get lethal injuries. I observed them for 5 mins, and the last 2 mins, the pair kept swimming around so fast that there's current In the water. I have separated them , the female anal fin healed, should I condition them again?
LoveSGSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #13 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSGSE View Post
I tried flaring her with my mg female and she's like " oh hi " then swims away
I don't know why but aggressive males/females are easier to breed.... I guess they're not called fighters for nothing. lol. If she is just saying "hi" then it may be some time before she will breed. This is why you have to isolate her. Try total isolation for at least 24 hours in the dark. Then flare her the next day. A tiny flare at first is a good start.

Yes you should recondition the breeding pair. If you feel the male is over aggressive, isolate the female in the breeding tank and let her get familiar with her surroundings, hiding places, escape routes etc. Once in a while show another female or mirror. When she adapts an attitude, try showing a ready male (swims differently, like showing off/dancing OR makes bubble nest). If she swims in a similar way, you can immediately release the male (probably a lot of torn fins) OR let them see each other for at least 24 hours before releasing.

Try releasing the male in the late afternoon, about 1 hour before dark. Don't light the tank at night. This will let them sense each other and become familiar. Remember, either way you'll end up with torn fins. That's just how they are.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do and on how things go....
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #14 
Bloodeath

i didnt completely read over this thread, so i dont know if its been said but...

Quote:
2. No v bars means she isn't ready. You must isolate her and try flaring her once in a while. Don't show her any males at the moment. Use other females or mirrors. When she is aggressive against the other/mirror like she's saying "I'm gonna kill ya", try floating her again with the male. If she dances (or flaring) with the male and showing vertical bars, She is ready. Wait 2 - 3 days then release her.
This is not neccesarily true. my female mated just fine showing no vertical bars at all. and only after 1 week of being conditioned. and there was minimal fin nipping, on a count of the female being 3x quicker than the male.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:51 PM   #15 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodeath View Post
This is not neccesarily true. my female mated just fine showing no vertical bars at all. and only after 1 week of being conditioned. and there was minimal fin nipping, on a count of the female being 3x quicker than the male.
Yes, I agree with you. But I was referring to LoveSGSE's reluctant female. Her female has been chased and bitten, and or has been floated for four days and still won't respond to the male.

Notice on the next posts that I refer to the swimming (dancing) instead of the bars as a sign of readiness.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:15 PM   #16 
Bloodeath

Ok. now that ive fully read this thread (Lol should of done that first).

My best advice is like what everyone else is saying essentially.

Condition them again...only this time, condition HIM to Her, not vice a versa.
you've got to understand a male betta will flare/get excited over all most anything.
like my VT Constantly makes a huge nest just because (From what i can tell) he genuinely thinks the cory cats are females, i say that because hes delivering the exact same attitude as males do when their trying to impress females.

But on the other hand, females are a little bit more picky. i mean, i tried doing 2 breeds at once. like in seperate breeding tanks, with seperate couples, after being conditioned for the same amount of time.

and my current (So far successful) Spawn, when i actually "Introduced them to each other" (Took out the divider) There was NO fin nipping, just dancing and a very little bit of chasing. But the difference was, is instead of actually taking the divider out, i scooped up the male, and put him in the females side of the tank, and then took out the divider, not to put him into shock, but to make him i guess a little bit less aggressive and a little bit less like "Hey this is my home, im top dog" and they were fine, really fun to watch.

But on the other hand, in my other tank, we scooped up the female and put her in the males side, and within 5 minutes max, part of her back fin (like on the end of her body, not below her body, i forget the name xD) got ripped off. and i mean, like a good chunk, enough to scare us and take her out and instantly give up on him.

In my eyes, some pairs are really just not ment for each other.

I'd suggest just reconditioning them and trying them again, and if its as violent as last time, give up on that pair and consider trying a more aggressive female.
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #17 
LoveSGSE

Ok, I'm going to condition them and keep you guys updated. Thanks for the help
Old 08-22-2010, 07:42 PM   #18 
MrVampire181

Try some Nutra Fin Max Betta Water Conditioner to add to your water. And try not putting salt in the tank. Since I've started doing this my most aggresive males anf females have been able to breed with minimal damage.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 04:18 AM   #19 
LoveSGSE

I did add water conditioner... And I dont put salt into the tank at all
Old 08-23-2010, 08:41 PM   #20 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveSGSE View Post
I did add water conditioner... And I dont put salt into the tank at all
I know but add some of Nutrafin Max. I add it to my regular water conditioner and I get spawns and less aggression.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote