Betta Fish Forum banner

Female flares at herself

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  germanchick09 
#1 ·
My female, Bella, will flare when i hold a mirrow to her tank and she sees herself and then she will get the vertical mating stripes... is that normal for a female to do so???

#5 ·
thats weird, i always tried getting the females to flare at themselves, but mine seem to be too "Smart" to do it. lol

#7 ·
no...lol shes just a fish. every single betta has its own unique personality. although i must say, females always seem a little bit more...sporadic and awkward. And i mean you cant blame her, its not like she wakes up every morning like us and looks in the mirror and knows that, thats her. ya know?

#9 ·
Would you mind throwing up a pic? i love looking at other peoples setups and such :D

#12 ·
hmm. a little blurry but from what i can see shes a beauty. i just love how betta's are with cameras. its so difficult to get a good picture of them, its like they know your trying to get a picture of them, and they just dont want to let you do it. lol :D

But as far as her flaring at her reflection, now that i think about it

i put 2 female CT's together in the same tank, and one would always flare at the other, and the other one not flaring would kinda just look at the other female like "Wtf are you doing" and then the one who was flaring started nipping the other girl.

so its quite possible even though shes a female, your just seeing her territorial genes kicking in

#14 ·
One of my females used to do that, too. It's always said that females have smaller "beards" but she had a full size one. She was definitely a female though.

#19 ·
She looks just like my Nina!... Like really close. And she's pretty territorial herself. lol. She flares at my boys and gets her stripes. My new girl (try as I might) won't flare at anything. Though she just seems thrilled to be out of that nasty cup. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.