Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #1 
MorganC2010

Question Is this a Tumor?

Hello again everyone! A friend of mine has asked me to help her care for her sick betta. When she first described the symptoms to me it sounded like swim bladder disease but now that i see him it looks like a tumor to me. so ill fill out the questionair and post some pictures and hopefully ill get some feed back :)
The Betta in question is named Fabio btw
Housing
What size is your tank?His tank is 15gallons but he is currently in a 1 gallon qt tank.
What temperature is your tank?78F
Does your tank have a filter?Normal tank yes, qt tank no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?Normal tank yes, qt tank no.
Is your tank heated?Normal tank yes, qt tank no. Im getting the heater off of her asap tho,
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Aqueon pellets, freeze dried blood worms, and frozen blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish?Once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?At least once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?API Stress Coat in normal tank. Tetra aquasafe plus in the QT tank, just because thats what i use here.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?No. He had just moved from one house into another so all his old tank water was thrown away. I can test his QT water if you would like. But its unfiltered/uncycled and changed daily.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?Bloated belly, more so on one side. Its like a big lump on one side. It seems to be whiteish in color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Still very active. His owner says his behavior hasn't changed but i do recall her talking about how Fabio used to love playing in his bubbles (from the air stone) and he hasnt done that for a month or so. he had quit playing in them before the lump appeared though so he may have just lost interest in it.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?About 1 week ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?Yes. placed in Qt tank and started a epsom salt treatment. I forget exactly th dosage I had her doing but it was something like Day #1- .5tsp (added slowly over 30mins) Day#2 - rest in sol. Day#3 10% water change and add 1tsp epsom salt over an hour...and so on. She did this for about 4-5 days but forgot to do it the past few days. This is why she wanted me to take over lol.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?No
How old is your fish (approximately)?about year old.

ok Next post will be pictures :)
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 03:07 PM   #2 
MorganC2010

Old 06-01-2014, 07:53 PM   #3 
MorganC2010

If I need to get better pictures please let me know. Other than water changes I'm holding off on all treatments until I get some feed back :)
Old 06-01-2014, 09:14 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

I would keep him in Epsom salt at a constant dosage of 1 teaspoon per gallon.

I would change from Aqueon pellets to either New Life Spectrum or Omega One. And I would stop feeding all freeze dried foods.

It could be a cyst or tumor, especially since it's only on one side. If it is though, there isn't much you can do.

The other possibility is an internal bacterial infection. If it's due to anaerobic bacteria, then metronidazole would help. If it's due to aerobic bacteria, then either Kanaplex or tetracycline may help.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #5 
MorganC2010

Ok I will put him back on the salt treatment. How long would you suggest? I generally don't like having them on it for more than 10 days, but has the time period they can be on it different?

Also, is there anything I could be looking for to tell me A. If it is a bacteria and B. If so which one? I just don't want to put him through unnessacary treatments if it won't help. I understand with a tumor or cyst there is nothing that can be done. I just wanted to get other opinions on if that's what this is and not something treatable.

As for the food, while he is with me he'll be getting omega one. I also have some frozen daphnia, should I offer him some?

Thank you so much for replying. I love hearing from others when it comes to helping sick fish.

Tags
lump, sbd, sick, tumor