Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-23-2010, 07:23 PM   #1 
browniefuzz

I think my guy is sick. :(

We've only had Fishy for 3 days now, and he's been fine up until today. This morning, his bowl (1 gallon) was a little on the chilly side (around 72), so I moved it into the kitchen where the room temperature was a bit warmer. He seemed fine, even with the cooler water, and I fed him some of his flakes. I wasn't able to go out today and purchase pellets or bloodworms for him, so he's still eating the flakes I bought at my LPS.

After I fed him, and talked to him for a little bit, I decided it was time to clean his bowl. I carefully scooped him into his cup, and sat him on the kitchen windowsill while I took everything out of his bowl, and washed it. I bought him a new (plastic) plant last night, as well as a thermometer, and those were rinsed well in hot water before they were put into his tank last night.

Anyways, I rinsed, and pretty vigorously scrubbed off his plants (hot water only), thermometer, and bowl. I dumped his gravel into another bowl, and washed by running hot water over it, and shaking it around with my hands, then pouring the water off, until nothing was coming out of the gravel into the water.

I then put the gravel back in, put his water in, repositioned his plants, and stuck his thermometer back on. I added 5 drops of water conditioner/dechlorinator, but then decided to swap out some water because the temp was reading 90 degrees. I swapped about half of the water in the tank, and added 3 more drops of conditioner. I waited to see what the temp was, and when it read 78 I put him back in.

He's been hanging out in the bottom of his bowl for most of the day today, and one of the fins he swims with (the small ones?) has been clamped to his side he's only using one of them, and just sits, and stares instead of swimming. He will still flare if I hold up a mirror, and he responds to a light, if I hold one up to his bowl. Should I just plan on daily water changes, or do I need to add something into his routine?
browniefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #2 
browniefuzz

Picture 1 is his poor little clamped fin. He's fluttering it a bit, but looks like he's using his top fin and tail to make up for not using it.

Picture 2 is a white spot I noticed while trying to snap the pictures. See it there? There are 3, (I think) like that in a straight line hiding behind his fin.

Picture 3 is his little house. I want to upgrade him, but don't have the funds to do so right now. Please excuse the price sticker goo. I can't figure out how to get it off without messing up the tank.
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #3 
browniefuzz

Housing
What size is your tank?
1 gallon-ish?

What temperature is your tank?
77 degrees

Does your tank have a filter?
no

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
no

Is your tank heated?
no

What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
he's all by his lonesome

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
HBH Betta ColorBright flakes

How often do you feed your betta fish?
he was fed twice today, once first thing this morning, then once around 5, but he just nibbled on a bit of the 5:00 feed.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
Just did the first 100% change. We purchased him on Saturday, so this one was after 2 days.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
Planning to do 100% daily until he's better, then 50% and 100% alternating daily.

What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
5 drops BettaSafe Water Conditioner as recommended by LPS.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

no, and I have no idea. :(

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
white spots/chalky scales under clamped fin.

How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
mainly sitting still and staring out of the bowl. leaning to the side his clamped fin is on. didn't eat much at last feeding.

When did you start noticing the symptoms?
following water change this morning

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
no.

Does your fish have any history of being ill?
not in the 3 days we've had him, but that's not much of a medical history.

How old is your fish (approximately)?
I have no idea unfortunately, but he's a king betta (half king? half giant? I don't know the term.), and is only about 2 inches head to tail atm.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #4 
browniefuzz

He's straight up and down this morning. :( Nose up, and doesn't seem to be able to do anything about it. His tank temp went to 72 overnight.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #5 
browniefuzz

He passed while I was changing his water this a.m. :( Thanks to the 53 people who looked at this thread, and didn't even offer up an, "I don't know" Maybe I'll do better with the little VT dragon I just got when I took him back to the pet store.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM   #6 
vaygirl

They need a heater and a constant temperature. Fluctuations in the temperature can shock and kill them. Going from 72 to 78 and then back down to 72 is probably the culprit. I hope you get a heater for this new betta.

Sorry for your loss. :(
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote