Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Nerite snails

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? tropical flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? tried daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water 50%change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate: 10
pH: 7.6
Hardness: 150
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Fins pinned back, How has your betta fish's behavior changed? very lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? water change, Epsom salt today
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? only had him 1 week

Bought him from a big pet store 7 days ago, I tried to feed him the morning after I put him in the tank (flake), he didn't take it, I have since tried three different types of food and he wont eat any of it. Now for three days his fins are pinned back and he seems to have to hide under things to stay at the bottom. he doesn't seem to be in control of his swim bladder... I am going to try Epsom salt and see if that helps, but if I cant get him to eat anything he will die, any advice on getting him to eat would be helpful, he may just be in shock going from a 2 cup container at the store to a 10g tank...
Holla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 03:24 PM   #2 
shellieca

Is the filter too strong for him? You might try turning it off for a few hours to see if his behavior changes in any way.

Epsom salt is good if he does have a SB problem or any swelling.

When you feed him do you have his attention? I feed pellets & when I have a new fish I make sure I have their attention, drop ONE pellet & if he eats it I drop another but if he doesn't eat it I don't drop anymore & try again the next day.

If you have done both of those things & they didn't make a difference I would suggest moving him into something smaller like a 1-2g container. IME, some Bettas have needed to slowly be moved into larger containers.

Someone else may have other suggestions. Keep us posted.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:22 PM   #3 
VivianKJean

I would stop feeding him flakes because they aren't good for your betta. You should try high quality pellets like Omega One or New Life Spectrum. Look at the ingredients - the first ones should be whole fish, shrimp, or krill. If it says fish meal or wheat gluten then those are fillers and will bloat your fish.

I would try feeding the way shellieca said above. It took my newest betta about 2 weeks before he started eating regularly. Also feed him the same spot. That way he learns that he should go there to get his food.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote