Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-15-2014, 04:51 AM   #281 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A large heavily-planted and -decorated tank is not the same as a large, bare, open, intimidating tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #282 
trilobite

The one I put my stupid fish in was only about 2.5g heaps of plant cover and driftwood...he just couldnt handle it. Ive had bettas in my old 180L heavily planted tank as well, most were fine but there was one who really wasnt happy in it and preferred a small tank
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM   #283 
Valentino14

Personally i'm not a fan of the super heavily planted tanks... it's just not my thing. I think the fish needs at least some open room to view all of it's surroundings. But I could be wrong... from my understanding their natural environment is almost completely planted, obviously, being in ponds with plants everywhere.
Valentino14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 AM   #284 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valentino14 View Post
Personally i'm not a fan of the super heavily planted tanks... it's just not my thing.
The tank isn't for you to live in. It's for your fish.

Of course, I agree that creating a tank is the purview of the keeper, whose esthetic judgment is final.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #285 
TerriGtoo

The betta that humans have bred and that we keep as pets--Betta Splendens would never be found in a rice paddy, let alone a "mud puddle".
Ask yourself this. If you had the opportunity, would you take your own fish and put it in a rice paddy? Seriously, how long do you think your fish would last in the wild?

You might find wild-type bettas in rice paddies that occur there naturally, but you would never see a B. Spendens nor any of the plakats that breeders specialize in, in these paddies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi View Post
Sometimes in the wild they do. If it was a mild rain season, but it is a common misconception that this means 'bettas love a tiny amount of water'. In reality, they can survive in small amounts (usually) but not thrive.
TerriGtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 05:45 AM   #286 
Hallyx
Reference Team

No matter how far removed from their natural state and artificially-evolved into forms visually diverse and divergent from their progenitors (and Betta aren't that many generations removed as compared to, say, dogs), there remains a fundamental, intrinsic, biological hegemony derived from hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.

Like their wild ancestors, store Betta still like softer water with pH in the high sixes, protein-rich food, low current, stable water temperatures in the high seventies and a generally crowded or closed in physical environment regardless of cpacity. Until these characteristics are modified by breeders, they will remain central to Betta biology.

Wild B. slendens come from paddies and bongs. Many captive bred individuals are released into the wild, much to the consternation of pure-species breeders. So many second-rate fighters have been released that it is conjectured the general wild Betta population is more aggressive than it has ever been.

I'm sure my feisty, copper plakat would survive quite easily were I to turn him loose in a rice paddy in Thailand.

Last edited by Hallyx; 03-22-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:59 PM   #287 
TerriGtoo

Captive vs wild bettas

He might for a short while, but take into consideration all of the parasites and bacterial infections that are in the wild. Most captive bred bettas do not have the inmmunities that their wild counterparts do. He would probably live a short miserable life.

QUOTE=Hallyx;4158962]No matter how far removed from their natural state and artificially-evolved into forms visually diverse and divergent from their progenitors (and Betta aren't that many generations removed as compared to, say, dogs), there remains a fundamental, intrinsic, biological hegemony derived from hundreds of thousands of years of evolution.

Like their wild ancestors, store Betta still like softer water with pH in the high sixes, protein-rich food, low current, stable water temperatures in the high seventies and a generally crowded or closed in physical environment regardless of cpacity. Until these characteristics are modified by breeders, they will remain central to Betta biology.

Wild B. slendens come from paddies and bongs. Many captive bred individuals are released into the wild, much to the consternation of pure-species breeders. So many second-rate fighters have been released that it is conjectured the general wild Betta population is more aggressive than it has ever been.

I'm sure my feisty, copper plakat would survive quite easily were I to turn him loose in a rice paddy in Thailand.[/quote]
TerriGtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #288 
LittleBettaFish

A few posts up I'd mentioned that Betta splendens were becoming a problem in some of the waterways in the Northern Territory. At least that was reported (with photos) from the Australian and New Guinea Fishes Association.

I think for many fish in the wild life is short. Admittedly, many tank bred bettas would die if let loose (certain colours and tail types probably more so than others). However, there would be others that would certainly survive. This is why as Hallyx has mentioned, hybridisation has wreaked havoc on wild populations of betta.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:10 AM   #289 
nikkiinac3

I think every Betta is different for example my female blue fish wasn't happy to the point he was going to die if she stayed in my 2.5 tank. She started not eating, looking sickly, never moved much. I put her in my 10 gallon and she was so happy. My other female beta on the other hand is perfectly happy with the 2.5. She swims all around, eats like there's no tomarrow and gets really excited when she sees me. So I think it really depends on the beta's personality.
Experiments show, fish have a memory up to 5 months. And research suggests that their intelligence is actually pretty good for an animal. I think we give them less credit than they deserve. Who to say they don't have their different preferences? Now I'm sure their tank preferences are in range. Their ideal temperature, tank size ph level is very close. But I'm sure they vary a little.
It's pretty easy to tell when a betas happy, sick, unhappy or depressed. If they have emotions, they obviously have opinions. Not as complex as ours, but they have them. why do we expect them to all like the exact same living conditions?

Last edited by nikkiinac3; 04-13-2014 at 02:30 AM.
nikkiinac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:48 PM   #290 
Litzi1964

When I read about bettas purportedly living in mud puddles and small containers, I'm reminded of a photo essay I saw about overcrowded housing in Hong Kong. People are crammed into living quarters that are maybe 30 or 40 sq ft. (See www.dailymail.co.uk among others). Is it possible to live in a space barely large enough to move around in? Sure. Is this optimal, desirable or healthy? My guess is no. With both fish and humans, what is lost in terms of physical health, emotional well-being, positive social interactions, life expectancy, quality of life, etc.
Litzi1964 is offline   Reply With Quote