Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #41 
VivianKJean

I just noticed that my newest boy Perry "knows" when its almost meal time. I'm not sure how, Im guessing he can "sense" that its almost time for dinner. He will swim like crazy across the front of the tank until I come over a feed him.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #42 
Varmint

Waldo likes to lay on the ground like a dog:

He spends most his time near the bottom of the tank. He always insists on doing a backwards somersault, in order to change directions. It usually results in a face plant into the gravel:

Waldo has these funny chameleon eyes that can swivel in all directions. I feed him small sinking pellets. He eats half and lets the other half fall to the gravel so he can search for them all day long:

He is too curious for his own good. I have a filter sponge over the filter output. He climbed up on it and happily perched there. When I came in the room, he got excited and didn't know how to get down, so he shimmied forward for almost a minute until he could swim free. He ripped/bent his lower fin and didn't know it. It stayed curled up for a month making him look gimpy.

His nickname is Mr. Crazy.

Last edited by Varmint; 06-01-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #43 
myexplodingcat

XD Oh my gosh, the fish faceplant!
myexplodingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 10:39 AM   #44 
blue sky

Wink

my rainbow sticks her head in spaces where rthere is no gravel. when she gets excited she waves her head and swims up and down. yes AT THE SAME TIME.
haha
blue sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #45 
Darius359au

Ok new weird behaviour for Bernard ,I use a 5ml,(full is 6ml), syringe to get water and put it into the tubes to test and squirt the remainder back into his tank - my silly fish has decided he like being squirted and gets right up to the nozzle as I empty the syringe back into the tank ,then I'll refill and squirt and he does a little happy dance afterwards then comes back to the syringe for more...
Darius359au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:48 PM   #46 
LadyNightraven

Some silly stories about my veiltail boy, Rakki:

When Rakki was still in his 1-gallon bowl, he was obsessed with his thermometer. He loved swimming between the side of the bowl and the thermometer over and over again. When I moved him to his 5-gallon tank, he was very disappointed to discover that he couldn't fit between the thermometer and the wall of the tank anymore. It took him a few days before he quit trying and accepted it wasn't going to happen.

Speaking of the 5-gallon tank... some fish are freaked out being in larger spaces after being accustomed to smaller spaces, right? Rakki couldn't wait for me to let him out of the bag in which he acclimating to his new tank. He frantically swam back and forth at the bottom of the bag like, "Let me out! I must see everything!" He loves having so much space.

Most bettas make one bubble nest at a time, right? Rakki likes to make two: one near the back right corner where he sleeps, and one in the front right corner for everyone to see. He'll work a bit on one nest, then on the other, and goes back and forth between the two. I don't think he's happy with me messing them up when I do a water change because by the next day he's usually made a good start on rebuilding them.

He loved his first hide in his aquarium, a beehive that I got from Petsmart, and he was sad when I had to get rid of it because the paint was flaking. He's ignored everything I've tried to put in since other than a ZooMed betta log, which I had to get rid of because it was leeching junk into the water. PVC pipes? Nope. Terra cotta pot? Boring. I currently have a small porcelain flower pot in his tank as a hide, which he swam into exactly once, right after I put it in, and now ignores.

When I first put his dragon ornament into his tank, he spent 10 minutes circling it and flaring. It was so funny and cute to watch him trying to decide what the heck that thing was and why it was in his tank.

He couldn't care less about the ping pong ball I put in his tank sometimes, but he flips out over bookmarks left leaning against his tank. His favorite game is when my fiance wiggles his fingers back and forth across the front of the tank for Rakki to chase.
LadyNightraven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:32 PM   #47 
InStitches

these fish have absurd amounts of personality haha
InStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #48 
charliegill110

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyNightraven View Post
Some silly stories about my veiltail boy, Rakki:

When Rakki was still in his 1-gallon bowl, he was obsessed with his thermometer. He loved swimming between the side of the bowl and the thermometer over and over again. When I moved him to his 5-gallon tank, he was very disappointed to discover that he couldn't fit between the thermometer and the wall of the tank anymore. It took him a few days before he quit trying and accepted it wasn't going to happen.

Speaking of the 5-gallon tank... some fish are freaked out being in larger spaces after being accustomed to smaller spaces, right? Rakki couldn't wait for me to let him out of the bag in which he acclimating to his new tank. He frantically swam back and forth at the bottom of the bag like, "Let me out! I must see everything!" He loves having so much space.

Most bettas make one bubble nest at a time, right? Rakki likes to make two: one near the back right corner where he sleeps, and one in the front right corner for everyone to see. He'll work a bit on one nest, then on the other, and goes back and forth between the two. I don't think he's happy with me messing them up when I do a water change because by the next day he's usually made a good start on rebuilding them.

He loved his first hide in his aquarium, a beehive that I got from Petsmart, and he was sad when I had to get rid of it because the paint was flaking. He's ignored everything I've tried to put in since other than a ZooMed betta log, which I had to get rid of because it was leeching junk into the water. PVC pipes? Nope. Terra cotta pot? Boring. I currently have a small porcelain flower pot in his tank as a hide, which he swam into exactly once, right after I put it in, and now ignores.

When I first put his dragon ornament into his tank, he spent 10 minutes circling it and flaring. It was so funny and cute to watch him trying to decide what the heck that thing was and why it was in his tank.

He couldn't care less about the ping pong ball I put in his tank sometimes, but he flips out over bookmarks left leaning against his tank. His favorite game is when my fiance wiggles his fingers back and forth across the front of the tank for Rakki to chase.
try a coconut shell, like from a real coconut. charlie loves his! we've had at least one in every tank. we didnt break the coconut any special way, just busted it with a hammer. you might need to sand some edges, but we didn't have to. they broke perfectly. but we originally did this at least 10 years ago so you may want to boil the shell for pesticides. it will turn the water brown but i let mine dry and then put it in the tank and it didn't turn my tank water.
charliegill110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #49 
Bikeridinguckgirl14

Do you have to scrape out the white stuff or anything?
Bikeridinguckgirl14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #50 
charliegill110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeridinguckgirl14 View Post
Do you have to scrape out the white stuff or anything?
yes definitely! or it will start to rot. only put the coconut shell in the tank.
charliegill110 is online now   Reply With Quote