Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2014, 11:47 AM   #21 
Pendulum

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetie View Post
I have now learnt to believe nothing I am told in a fish shop (let alone a pet shop!!) and to research any prospective pet in detail BEFORE the purchase rather than after!
Indeed. When I was younger, I was led to believe that the people working at these pet stores knew better and more information since they have to care for the animals everyday. I took their word. But now that I'm an adult and with the Internet at my fingertips, I'd rather take a few days of research before buying a new pet :).

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegill110 View Post
did you just want one clown fish, or?
Before I just wanted one clown fish but have since read that saltwater fish need a lot more than just salt water and fake decorations. They thrive on corals and other fish companions. I, too, think salt water fish are just beautiful and it would look so lovely to have a large tank but I'm far too inexperienced to keep one. Perhaps in a few years I can invest in starting one but for now, I'll just have to give all that extra love and care to my two bettas :).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmaugDragon View Post
Sweetie,
I agree! This site is a fantastic resource and there are members here who are so knowledgable and helpful. I feel like I have a million new questions about bettas per day and I love that I can search the forums here for answers.
I agree as well! I haven't come across a question unanswered on this website and I'm eternally grateful for the people here who spend their time in helping others. It was very easy for a newcomer such as myself to come here and ask questions that was perhaps answered a million times before but people are very patient and helpful. Because of everyone here who's helped me, my two lovely bettas are thriving and healthy!
Pendulum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #22 
Pendulum

Just had another moment of weakness, but this time my bf is the one that caved in for this little guy!

Name: Soma
Tail: Double Tail (Halfmoon with full spread)
Color: Green Marble

Story:
I went to Petco yesterday to buy some medicine for my poor Billy. As usual, I take off running in the store to look at the bettas that the store currently had since they're always changing them out. I was at Petsmart just before Petco and the lovely purple male dumbo at Petsmart that I saw a few weeks ago was gone. They had one cow betta (black and white marble) that I was interested in but of course my bf said no. We left Petsmart and went to Petco.

So as we scanned around the betta section at Petco, we came across this lovely green boy. My bf just could not get his eyes off him. Mind you, he's the type that just wants one dog (which we have) and no more pets after that. I already had two bettas at home so I wasn't expecting him to say yes to anything. But he just could not get his eyes off him. I had my eye on a Cambodian marble crowntail on the side shelf and a gold dragon. Every time I looked over, my bf was scanning around but I would always catch him glimpse over at the green marble and smile before quickly looking away.

So I offered to take full care of him and even offered to pay if he just let me take home one more betta. Surprisingly, it didn't take much convincing since he seemed to be really in love with this green marble. Sure enough, we brought him home and he's incredibly shy! I forced my bf to name the fish (he complained about not being able to come up with good names) and we decided to name him Soma. He's active on his own when I take a peek carefully but he hides in his plastic mesh if I come up close to the tank. But I have no doubt that he'll warm up to us eventually :). He truly is gorgeous though!
Old 06-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #23 
BlueLacee

Location: Colorado Rockies, the Land of Skiing, Festivals, and Incredibly Rich
Be careful, they are hazardous to your Heath and very addicting. You will soon have more, despite restrictions. Other than that, she is stunning
BlueLacee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:12 PM   #24 
InStitches

wow! What a gorgeous green betta. :)
InStitches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 10:02 PM   #25 
Pendulum

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLacee View Post
Be careful, they are hazardous to your Heath and very addicting. You will soon have more, despite restrictions. Other than that, she is stunning
Haha, my plan was to just have one. Then I thought, "I'll never have a girl. I'm just far too drawn to the males." A few weeks later I bring home a dumbo girl. Then I said, "Yup. I literally don't have the space so two is plenty." And now I bring home another boy. I wonder how long before I turn into "Crazy Betta Fish Lady" hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InStitches View Post
wow! What a gorgeous green betta. :)
Thanks! I know nearly all marbles change colors or patterns so I'm very interested to see what this little guy will change into! I'm wishing he'll stay green but I suspect he may change blue even. That's the magic of marbles, I guess!
Old 06-23-2014, 01:56 AM   #26 
averyecho

One notable moment of weakness of mine was when I saw Smaug at the local Petco. We were technically only there to get some more bloodworms, but I liked Smaug so much I DEMANDED that my dad let me buy him. He said no, my mom didn't want any more pets. I kept on arguing, and after half an hour of this, he was so tired of me bugging him about it he bought both Smaug and a very nice 3 gallon setup (even though I was intially supposed to buy him with my own money and use the spare 2 gallon at home). Needless to say, my mom was not happy... But Smaug became her favorite fish in the end
averyecho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #27 
BettaBeau

Smile

I had a moment of weakness almost a month ago. I got out of work early, and since my bf was still asleep I had about an hour to kill. I went to a shopping center that is sort of on my way home, I had never been there and I wanted to see what stores were there. They have a Target, Trader Joes, Michaels, a bunch of others... and a Petsmart. Cool, I thought, I can kill some time in there. I've had bettas before, but after the last one died about 5 years ago I gave away all of my tank stuff. So I went over to the bettas, and they have a nice selection. I look at the female bettas, I have never had a female before. One of them was very curious about her surroundings. I set her to one side to look at the others, and when I looked back at her she was staring at a hanging price tag card. That did it! She was on sale for 99 cents, but I bought her about $50 worth of housing and equipment, lol!

The problem was, I didn't discuss it first with my bf. He was a little upset, and rightfully so. He said we could keep it but he didn't want the tank near any of his stereo or radio equipment, or near any electrical outlets or power strips! I had wanted her in the living room, but we ended up putting the tank in the bedroom on the bathroom counter. It's actually the perfect place, she can see the whole bedroom, and it makes water changes so easy! I bought air tubing suction cups and ran the heater wire up and around the mirror over to the outlet on the other side. Infra Red is quite happy with her new place!
BettaBeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #28 
Pendulum

Quote:
Originally Posted by averyecho View Post
One notable moment of weakness of mine was when I saw Smaug at the local Petco. We were technically only there to get some more bloodworms, but I liked Smaug so much I DEMANDED that my dad let me buy him. He said no, my mom didn't want any more pets. I kept on arguing, and after half an hour of this, he was so tired of me bugging him about it he bought both Smaug and a very nice 3 gallon setup (even though I was intially supposed to buy him with my own money and use the spare 2 gallon at home). Needless to say, my mom was not happy... But Smaug became her favorite fish in the end
It seems to work out that way in the end haha. I had a similar argument with my bf about buying my second betta and he just said he didn't want another pet and mentioned the lack of space we have. But I bugged him about it for 5 days before he finally caved in and even though I told him I would use my hospital tank temporarily before I had enough to buy her a nice big tank, he just bought another 2.5g tank and even told me to pick out plants and toys for her. Before we bought the green marble this past weekend, my second betta, Luna, was his favorite even though I practically had to pull his arm off to get her haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBeau View Post
I had a moment of weakness almost a month ago. I got out of work early, and since my bf was still asleep I had about an hour to kill. I went to a shopping center that is sort of on my way home, I had never been there and I wanted to see what stores were there. They have a Target, Trader Joes, Michaels, a bunch of others... and a Petsmart. Cool, I thought, I can kill some time in there. I've had bettas before, but after the last one died about 5 years ago I gave away all of my tank stuff. So I went over to the bettas, and they have a nice selection. I look at the female bettas, I have never had a female before. One of them was very curious about her surroundings. I set her to one side to look at the others, and when I looked back at her she was staring at a hanging price tag card. That did it! She was on sale for 99 cents, but I bought her about $50 worth of housing and equipment, lol!
I, too, had never owned a female betta and I never thought I'd ever buy one or adopt one. I was always attracted to the long flowy males and I told myself I wouldn't ever have a female betta or plakats. Aquabid destroyed those thoughts especially since that website introduced me to Dumbo bettas. Last month I went to the store where I saw a female Dumbo. I flipped out because of all the ones I saw at Petco and Petsmart, I've never seen a female Dumbo. My bf said no but like I mentioned earlier, I harped about this female betta for 5 days before he finally caved in. It didn't take long before he decided the female betta was his favorite haha. I read a lot about how the females have so much personality to make up for their short fins and they're all right! Our Luna has the biggest personality, the most active, and just rather crazy.

I see those female bettas at Petsmart for 99 cents all the time and I just go crazy haha. They're mostly very young and I keep telling my bf, "It's the best sale because you'll raise it for years and get the added benefit of seeing them change as they grow bigger. It's just a dollar!" But he said he didn't want to see me spend (or have him spend) over $50 on more stuff for another betta and have them sit on the floor since we literally have no space here unless we buy those death bowls. But still... 99 cents for a betta is extremely tempting indeed!
Old 06-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #29 
Ratness17

My moment of weakness was the other day, when I went to Walmart with my mom. I have a thing for charity cases at walmart, they always look so sad! But I already had three 10 gallons in my room. The older two already both had a betta in them with some guppies. I was looking for a betta for my third and ended up getting two females and a 2.5 gallon aquarium kit. Citronella was in dirty water and was one of the healthier looking ones. Juniper was in crystal clear water so I am assuming she just went on the shelf that day. But here are my two beautiful girls. They don't like sitting still for pictures!

Citronella is the one with the light orange fins and Juniper is the other haha
Cant figure out how to get them not to be sideways.....
Attached Images

Ratness17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 06:41 PM   #30 
Thothgirl

Saki and Fritz were a moment of weakness. I went to get 1 betta to fill my empty 10 after the angelfish fisaco. just one. and then I saw Saki. I even wanted a green betta, but man Saki stole my heart in a second. he is such a pretty boy. then I saw Fritz. Fritz was at the time green and blue and about as badass as a punk crowntail can be. after spending 5 mins not being able to choose between the two, my husband sighed, we got a divider and now we are planing on outfitting our other 10 as soon as we have room for it!

(all hail petco tank sales! a 30 and 2 10s!)

Though, to be technical, we got Herbert our Featherfin African catfish in one of my husbands moments of weakness. went to get 4 emerald cories and he fell in love with that fish. heart achingly totally in love. Thus we have Herbert (named after Herbert Hoover cause that fish is a vaccum!)

You know the more I think about it... I am almost sure this is how we got the vast majority of our pets. Lol!
Thothgirl is offline   Reply With Quote