Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-05-2014, 01:28 PM   #1 
MistersMom

Post Meaningful Names?

I'm a big fan of names with meaning behind them, i like to look up a word describing my fish and search it in different languages.
I got a new little girl the other day, named her Dolcie last night for the Italian word dolce, meaning sweet. I want to hear y'alls meaningful names and how you came up with them!!! :)

I had Bello - he was 'beautiful'
I also like naming them after greek mythology. haha.
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:51 PM   #2 
CoyDahlia

My little guy is named Kaiju. He's the mascot of our office, and we went out for a movie last friday and my coworker was mentioning that we always see monster movies (Pacific Rim, Godzilla). So, it seemed like a fitting name for our mascot. :)

I should mention that Kaiju is Japanese for monster (essentially). That's what the monsters in Pacific Rim are called.
CoyDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:58 PM   #3 
Rimbaum

I like names from various mythologies for all my pets (sadly the cats I did not have a chance to name like this... my parents wanted "normal" names)

I used to have a chinchilla named Freya. Chosen because there was a mouse-girl character in FFIX by the same name.

Currently, I have Ahti, named after a Welsh god of fishing. And while it's not technically a pet, the marimo I have in the tank with Ahti is named Minthe.
Rimbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:01 PM   #4 
myexplodingcat

Someday, I want a blue-and-red betta so I can name him Orion.

(The stars in the constellation Orion are mostly blue, with one or two reds.)
myexplodingcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #5 
MistersMom

That's kinda cool guys! and red/blue bettas are kinda easy to find so good luck on one you like!
Old 06-06-2014, 11:47 PM   #6 
LadyNightraven

Rakki, according to Google, is Japanese for "lucky." My fiance and I like Japanese names, and it seemed like a fitting name for our rescued betta.

Story time...
He was left behind in a 0.5 gallon container in a rental home when the renter moved out. He barely had enough water left to cover him when the landlords discovered him, so he'd been there a few days at least. They didn't know what to do with him, or even what kind of fish he was, but our friends who also rent from them told them that we are animal lovers and might take him. We couldn't turn away an animal in need and accepted him sight unseen. Thankfully bettas are resilient and Rakki survived his ordeal and then the learning curve while I learned to care for him properly. We consider him lucky to be with us and lucky to be alive. So he is Rakki.
LadyNightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 01:06 PM   #7 
ZZD

I started out calling FishFace RoRo, but I kept telling him he had a funny/cute little fish face and that kinda stuck. I am so creative with names some times. my new betta is Moo cause he is white with black spots like a cow I guess. Like I said, very meaningful and creative.
ZZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 05:09 PM   #8 
MistersMom

Lol, very!
Old 06-08-2014, 10:35 AM   #9 
iElBeau

I've had Beau, who was named that because I was single at the time and thought it was funny to have a "Beau" but it also means beautiful in french (all my fish are named french names).

I've also had Lulu, which is short for Lumiere, named that because he was a fancy dragon with green/blue, orange, and black, who seemingly "illuminated" with the orange. He was also Beau's replacement, which made him like a "light" in my life. :)

I'm now thinking of getting a marble, and naming him Oublier, meaning "to forget", as in he forgot what colour he's supposed to be :P
iElBeau is offline   Reply With Quote